BoundingBox failing on big amount of rooms

Hi guys

I’ve been developing the definitions from CASE creating room numbers along a curve to include a couple of parameters in the numbering syntax.

The whole thing is working great on smaller sample projects, but unfortunately I’m experiencing malfunctions and irregularities when using it on the actual project it was made for. As the project consists of several models with up to 1000 rooms in each, I’m very interested in getting it to work properly.

Find the definition here: https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/af00dc764c876297183d72a59a2e1a4220150331174716/c952689d5b661e7b6eae6e148cc0156e20150331174716/3a42c6

It all seems to come down to the way of selecting rooms. When an error occurs, the Geometry.BoundingBox-node fails saying “dereferencering a non-pointer” or “boundingbox operation failed”. The strange thing is though, that while the definition works at my workstation most times, several colleagues get one of the mentioned errors. I tried three different options of selecting rooms, none of them seem unaffected by the project size or even workstation and might or might not work.

Def

Option 1: Node “Get Rooms by Level” from Konrad/archi-lab. This is the most stable one, though not working on all workstations (all running Dynamo 0.7.5.3566).
Option 2: Not stable. Slowest, as it gets all rooms in the process. Not working on all workstations.
Option 3: Not stable. Seems to show random boundaries in the 3D preview at times. Not working on all workstations.

I’m pretty new to Dynamo, but it seems obvious that the malfunctions are connected to the amount of rooms. None of the above mentioned options seem to get the chosen levels only, as the 3D preview shows rooms from the entire model. Please correct me if I’m assuming wrong.

Def1

Any ideas on how to solve this one?

Thanks,
Christian

Lunchbox room collector?

Hey Christian,

Would you mind testing your definition on a newer version of Dynamo? ( http://dynamobuilds.com/ )

I tried a quick test file on the 0.8 release candidate with close to 5k rooms and it seems that Konrad’s node is working very robustly. I even managed to extract all the room solids after about two minutes. (solid extraction is a very taxing task).

If your workflow is still failing, it might be due to an underlying problem in your file.

2015-04-01_111136

Hey Dimitar

Thanks, I’ll try this.

Meanwhile, it seems that the amount of rooms isn’t the crucial part after all. While I’m able to extract geometry and rooms from a sample project with <20 rooms, several of my colleagues can’t. The result is as follows;

def6

Using the definition on one of the actual models, all options seem to fail as well at some of my colleagues workstations.

def4

It seems really strange that the same definition can have different outcomes on different workstations running the same version of Revit and Dynamo.

All Revit-nodes seem to be gone in 0.8 and I’m therefore unable to replace the unresolved nodes (Select Model Element, CurveElement.Curve, Element.GetParameterValueByName, Element.SetParameterByName). I definitely must be missing something here?

We have a few issues as well when replicating that.

One of them was the need to exclude unplaced rooms and redundant rooms. Maybe have a look at ours (Not perfect - WIP) and see if that helps?

Room Renumber off Spline