Bounding Box For Specific Element in Family

This question stems from the issue when I want to retrieve bounding boxes of certain elements, they aren’t always “form fitting” and exact to the footprint of the element visible. For example, if there was a generic table family shaped as a rectangular solid but had some other elements such as a non visible clearance footprint made of lines, the bounding box would include that and result in a larger box than one would want. Thus, my question is asking if there is a way to only create a bounding box for just the geometry in the family excluding any other lines? This is probably a larger question on collecting elements of a certain class via python and for loops, but I have not dabbled in those classes to access elements from families. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

Which method have you used to get the bounding box?

Hi Andreas…typically it is bounding box of element but sometimes by geometry. All from the built in nodes

Hi @Dynamonkey,

If you are looking to get the bounding box of elements within a family just use Clockworks GetSubcomponents node as shown below, you can put a bounding box around each nested family…

Cheers,
Dan

Note that this will only work for shared families.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn’t clear. As Andreas says, it works for shared/nested familes.