Binding data example in Dynamo for Civil 3D

Hi all,
could you please help me to find or show any example how to use correctly data binding nodes in Dynamo for Civil 3D?

Hi @Drbohlav,

See if this helps.

2 Likes

Hi @mzjensen,
Thank you, I know this has been addressed in several threads. But the conclusion was unclear. I am looking for the current best solution for civil 3D 2022.1.3.
I need it to work in the Dynamo player.
By that I mean to create multiple objects and not make the object disappear. Do you think there is a possible solution using binding nodes or not?
I attach a test drawing and a dynamo script.

Test.dwg (1.9 MB)
TestForDataBinding.dyn (18.4 KB)

Hmm… went to test and this is odd because I actually get the opposite behavior. The Dynamo player is not maintaining bindings (creating new objects without deleting previous ones) and Dynamo its self is maintaining the bindings. And I can’t seem to get this behavior to change. Despite changing the new binding settings that @jacob.small talks about here: 27 - Dynamo Office Hours: Getting More Civil with Dynamo - YouTube

When in the full dynamo and I try to turn off object bindings and use PipeNetwork.AddStructureByPoint a second time, I get a “eInvalidOpenState” error.

This additional control seems amazing but I’m also having trouble controlling the bindings. Also it seems to be a program setting option rather than a setting that can be saved into individual scripts? I would think it should be saved into a script it’s self as some scripts will want bindings and some will not.

Actually just tested the script and drawing you posted and am getting the same behavior as you by default. Looks like changing the bindings in the settings got it to work how you intended though. Guess the error I got is somehow specific to disabling bindings for the structure creation node. Just weird that you can remove bindings in the player but not in the dynamo editor for my test case…

Also still not sure if changing these settings is changing it for all dynamo scripts or for the single script it’s self. Guess it’s dynamo wide so you have to open dynamo to change it inbetween scripts. Is that correct @jacob.small ?

I believe it is script wide but I’ll ping the development team to confirm. :slight_smile:

I’m actually trying to do something similar with COGO points in Dynamo and am having the same binding issue. I am trying to get IT permission to get the settings changed. But if this needs to be set on computers company wide, this would be an issue. Is there a way to break bindings using the player and binding defaults? I tried going into the text file as suggested with Jackob Small’s previous post but it was empty.

I believe in the latest community call @jacob.small mentioned that it may require admin privilege’s to change this in dynamo for civil 3d 2022. I’m unsure if there is a work around for this.

2 Likes

This is my understanding. Your IT team should be able to manage this at scale (in bulk is actually easier than one off-s). If not they may want to revisit how they manage stuff.

1 Like

Just wanted to note that the location of the binding settings has been changed in Civil 3D 2023, so it no longer requires administrator access to change the settings if you’re using that version.

3 Likes

Yep, works beautifully in 2023. Now I just have to get everyone in my working group in 23.

1 Like