Batch Scale Filled Regions

I’ve inherited a bunch of roof details that use hatch regions instead of detail components. Of course, they were drawn at the wrong scale. I started to manually open each filled region sketch and use the same scale factor/base point to reduce the size. Seems like I could do this with dynamo. The rough idea is:
-Select all Filled Regions in the current view
-Somehow get the boundary (edit mode) of each
-Select a common reference point
-Input a scale factor
-SCALE command

I think I know how to do each of these with Dynamo, the confusing part for me is the whole “sketch mode” part. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Instead of modifying an existing sketch path, just draw a new one. It’s typically way easier to deal with the creation of new elements over the modification and management of existing ones. There are likely no parameters or metadata that you need to worry about with filled regions either.

I see. So you are saying extract the coordinates of the existing sketch path and then apply some kind of function to create a new one from the same reference point? Not sure I know all the Dynamo commands to do this but I can search.

Yup. Give it a try and see where you get.

I’ve learned how to select the sketch curve (boundary) of my filled region, and I’ve compiled it into a list. How do I scale the x,y,z coordinates in this list and create a new modified list?

Hi @jwinklerQ3ZUJ is it something here you are after ?

Revit_YRUnnkcHNI

I have now worked out how to scale a single filled region, although my goal is to scale all filled regions in the view. I don’t seem to have control of the reference point used during the resize. Every time I run the graph, it creates a scaled version of the selected filled region off in the distance. If I select another filled region and run the graph again, it deletes the previous creation. For this reason @sovitek I am interested in your use of the Pass Through (although I don’t totally understand it).

Hi @jwinklerQ3ZUJ i just use a passthrough before delete the original FR…I guess why its dissappear its element binding…try run from player ot try springnodes filledregion tool, cant remember for sure but think that node dont have element binding

Ah yes. Thank you @sovitek for clueing me in to the Springnodes Version of Filled Region. I’m not sure if I totally understand the element binding, it’s a little over my head. Here is my final solution. Once the “Element Binding” thing was solved, I was able to move to a “Select Multiple” version. To do this I inserted insert a PassThrough to ensure the list of filled regions is processed in synchronous fashion. Upon initial testing, it seems to work. Now I will get greedy and try for text/leaders and lines at the same time. To summarize, the graph below will select all the filled regions in my drafting view, and recreate a scaled version of them. This will help me as I have inherited some “details” that were erroneously drawn within 1:1 legend views using lines, filled regions, and text. Thank you all for the input.

2 Likes