Automatic dimensioning of (multiple) detail lines

Hi,

I have found this great topic on automatic dimensioning in Dynamo, see: Quick Dimension Question.

I am trying to use the script provided by @Einar_Raknes in post 5, and @truevis in post 14/16, which, given a detail line, places a dimension on the given detail line.

So far it works really well when I provide 1 detail line at a time. BUT I cant get it to work on multiple detail lines…

I have tried chopping up the list of detail lines into sublists but to no effect.

Can anyone think of a way to get this workflow working on multiple detail lines at once?
I suspect that it has to do with the python script build, but to me this is still a bit too much to grasp.

Thanks in advance!

JN

1 Like

Hi JN,

Have you tried setting the lacing of the custom node that you created to Longest?

Otherwise you could use a for loop in Python:

import clr
clr.AddReference('RevitAPI')
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *

clr.AddReference("RevitNodes")
import Revit
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.Elements)
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.GeometryConversion)

clr.AddReference("RevitServices")
import RevitServices
from RevitServices.Persistence import DocumentManager
from RevitServices.Transactions import TransactionManager

doc = DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentDBDocument

if isinstance(IN[0], list):
	lines = []
	for i in IN[0]:
		lines.append(UnwrapElement(i))
else:
	lines = [UnwrapElement(IN[0])]

crvs = []

for line in lines:
	crvs.append(line.GeometryCurve)

TransactionManager.Instance.EnsureInTransaction(doc)

for crv in crvs:
	ref = ReferenceArray()
	ref.Append(crv.GetEndPointReference(0))
	ref.Append(crv.GetEndPointReference(1))
	dim = doc.Create.NewDimension(doc.ActiveView, crv, ref)

TransactionManager.Instance.TransactionTaskDone()

OUT = dim

I use an offset to position the dimension:

and the python code becomes:

import clr
    clr.AddReference('RevitAPI')
    from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *

clr.AddReference("RevitNodes")
    import Revit
    clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.Elements)
    clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.GeometryConversion)

clr.AddReference("RevitServices")
    import RevitServices
    from RevitServices.Persistence import DocumentManager
    from RevitServices.Transactions import TransactionManager

doc = DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentDBDocument

if isinstance(IN[0], list):
    	lines = []
    	for i in IN[0]:
    		lines.append(UnwrapElement(i))
    else:
    	lines = [UnwrapElement(IN[0])]

crvs = []

for line in lines:
    	crvs.append(line.GeometryCurve)

if isinstance(IN[1], list):
    	linea = []
    	for i in IN[1]:
    		linea.append(UnwrapElement(i).ToRevitType())
    else:
    	linea = [UnwrapElement(IN[1]).ToRevitType()]

TransactionManager.Instance.EnsureInTransaction(doc)

for i in range (0,len(linea)):
    	ref = ReferenceArray()
    	ref.Append(crvs[i].GetEndPointReference(0))
    	ref.Append(crvs[i].GetEndPointReference(1))
    	dim = doc.Create.NewDimension(doc.ActiveView, linea[i], ref)

TransactionManager.Instance.TransactionTaskDone()

OUT = linea

7 Likes

Can you send file dyn to me?
i creat my dny file, but it is fail
thanks you

Hi @khuvv.hp This is .dyn good work
D.Dim detail line.dyn (5.3 KB)

Thank you all very much for your replies! Sadly I didn’t find the time yet to continue on this great quest :slight_smile: deadlines at the office, you know the drill. But again, very grateful for the help and I’ll surely come back on it.

Please send a screenshot of your work to illustrate your question and to make it clearly and quickly understandable. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

@Giovanni_Brogiolo
Very thank you you have well well! my life would like to ask you about the solution to make dim from lines in a family detail line.Please see Picture!

Hi Bach,

Please try this one. It works for grids too.

Automatic Dimension03.dyn (26.0 KB)

1 Like

Could you give additional information about this code and how to build it? Thanks :slight_smile:

The python code is taken from this discussion: Quick Dimension Question which refers back to this post on the Revit API forum https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/how-to-revit-2016-api-create-dimension-between-grid/td-p/5971147

A clear description of the NewDimension method can be found in the revit api docs website along with an example. http://www.revitapidocs.com/2018/47b3977d-da93-e1a4-8bfa-f23a29e5c4c1.htm

The line in IN[0] is where the dimension will be drawn (I used the lines end points + 500mm offset) while the lines in IN[1] are the dimension references.

In order to convert a line (or a grid line) to a reference we need to extract its geometry first (line 27) and then store its reference in a ReferenceArray() (line 18).

The NewDimension method is going to change the Revit project so it must be included in a Transaction.

Please note the code will work also with structural framings as you can extract a Reference from them too.

1 Like

@Giovanni_Brogiolo Very thanks for your reply soon
The thing I want is not the Grid but the lines in it (Line in family detail line)
I created this family for cutting steel beams!
And I hope to be able to dim it
Please see .rvt
Test Dim family detail line.rvt (2.0 MB)

@Bach
Please show your graph or code and ask specific questions about it.

Dear @Yna_Db
This topic has had the same script as above and I just want to do something self-only!
I sincerely apologize if I was wrong rules!

No problem! It is always possible to contribute to solve the issue with some efforts. Here is how to paste code in a post:

here are Python basics links if needed:

Now I’ve understand how get help the Dynamo fourm
Thanks @Yna_Db

1 Like

Dear all
So can it is automatic dim rebar?

1 Like

I would suggest to start a new topic with the appropriate title. You can link it to this one like so:
Share-a-link-to-this-post

Hi @Yna_Db
Since there are many topics, but still not resolved, so I think here people are ideas so I want to ask, it also does not diferen this topic
Thanks

I think this is just due to users not properly following up with the solution to their posts, as I certainly have seen solutions to this before… As seen here, one of the users on this thread above you created a new post and found a solution: Get DetailCurve From detail line family - #6 by awilliams

Dimensioning rebar is an entirely different topic than dimensioning detail lines, so this is a different topic. Follow @Yna_Db 's suggestion and create a new post! Many people are very willing to help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is there a way to create a list of all dimensions created? Or to choose the dimension type?

It solved my problem, but it uses a different type of dimension of the one I need.

1 Like