Automatic Dimension Walls

I missed something really obvious @Petar_Penchev1. I feel like a real idiot.

I certainly appreciate the help though. I forgot the “Get Current Document” in front of “Get Active View” node.

This code seems to not need any python or packages. At least from what I can remember.

Which hopefully means it won’t break on using in future revit releases.

Here’s the code (Sorry for the mess). Don’t have time to clean up.

GridLineDimensions.dyn (33.5 KB)

1 Like

Thanks Jarrodryanza
i also forgt get current document.

in jarro code there are two nodes (duplicate item indices and index of item)
these nodes are not working in Dynamo 1.2.1.3083

@Nico_Stegeman I unfortunately am not able to investigate this as I am limited the software already installed on my pc. Our servers are set up in such a way that we cannot install software. Good luck sorting it out.

Maybe ask @Konrad_K_Sobon… if he’s keen to help you out.

Nico, maybe you can work with this script.
Its based on Jarro’s code and places grid dimensions at the left, right, front and backside of the outer grids.

griddims.dyn (77.9 KB)

1 Like

Hi All,
I have been trying to dimension a wall in a section view in revit. The view is drawn from the center of the wall, looking out. I need to pull two dimension strands for the overall length and height of the wall and two more strands for openings. I have been using the 'Dimension.ByElements" Node. I figured out how to dimension to a line in made in Dynamo for the dimension offset. The view and suffix weren’t hard to input ether. But after some effort, it seems like that node does not allow you to pull dimensions from the actual faces of an element. I think I need python, but haven’t yet made the plunge. Any help would be appreciated!

----- this post has been moved to a new topic - see Dimension from Faces of an Element

Hi solvers and all,
Automatic dimension by dynamo is a great achievement and thanks to all the solvers of this issue.
I like to request that could these solutions might be put all in one place i.e., in a dynamo file/topic with all links as well if any custom nodes or packages could be created to share for the community as well every facets of automatic dimension like section/elevation dim etc might be addressed and documented in time until a moderate end of the topic?

Regards.:grin:

Just a quick question…

Would these autodimensions also work for Assembly views of families?

Hi all. Fantastic topic this one. I’ve managed to make a definition, following the instructions from Viktor and Petar, to dimension walls easily. Then I’ve changed that to dimension only by the exterior faces of the walls because we use different walls to make core and finish walls and wanted to dim the total width of the wall. Now i want to modify the python script to accept more than one line and create one dimension for each. I’ve tried to create another for loop to deal with the multiple lines, and it seems to work, but when he enters the element’s loop he gives me a warning.

Since I have no experience with python (I can only copy and paste some Snippets of code) I am sure I have made something very stupid. Does someone have a clue of what’s wrong with the code above?

P.S.: I think this is strongly related to the original discussion, that’s why I didn’t start another topic.

Well, thinking about i realized I had to change the for loop to use a count instead of the items. This way I can iterate through the multiple lists of elements (one for each line) too. I suppose this was the problem since I was trying to use lists instead of elements. I get no more warnings now but it creates only one dimension. So the question remains: Does someone knows what is wrong?

Hi @shehab10
Probably this is working, so far i tried. See the images.
Hi @Petar_Penchev1 @viktor_kuzev and others,
Thanks for such a great topic. Could we make this script more rich by making it to run in dynamo player? Reference lines should be created automatically as the offsets of the walls and so the dims. Any help?

How could I dimension with a line based element, for example ductwork or a pipe. It works for the centerline, but if I want to dimension to one edge of the element, how could I do that?.
Thanks a lot.

Issue

Note:
-Whitout creating another element becouse I will lost the reference and the dimension doesn’t update if I move the Ductwork or pipe, maybe if there is a way to restrain (lock) one line to the element with dynamo, please let me know How.

Will it work with ductwork, I want to reference the face of the ducts?
Help me what I need to change of the script.
Thanks for your time

Hi @dcmasten1,

the picture is very interesting,
can you share the *.dyn???

Thanks

Dimensions_WIP.dyn (13.8 KB)
This is what I have so far. For some reason, it shows an error in the line that ask to create the dimension. Any help would be appreciated, since I don’t know Python really.

Thanks,

1 Like

This is as far as I can get. Can someone help me finish please. I was unsure about what to link into ‘Wall.By.Face’

line 18 is exactly what was written in the code

this is very nice! thank you @Geom_On_Axis.

I have this working, but now I am looking for a way to measure (reference) angled walls. For this I need to find the Revit reference of the edge. Do you know how to find this? Is there something like Tags.LookupTag for a ‘RevitCurveReference’ ?

edde9d42d369cb2b44bcfd6248fbc104bbf1066f_1_690x451

Could you share the dyn and/or the code? I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing…

Hi Laura,
This is here.auto dim_r_130817.dyn (14.4 KB)

1 Like

Sorry for late reply. But I don’t know about it and actually shortage of time is preventing me to look into this topic again. Could you invite other Dynamo Masters for your problem? Hopefully they will solve it.
Thanks.

Hi, this script does not have any benefits compared to the built-in option in Revit atm right? Since walls with the width of all openings can now be dimensioned in one click. Or am I missing something about this script?