Automated data set assigning to Corridor Section Editor

Hello everybody, I’m new in this forum… well, I’m new in this field indeed, so thank you for your friendly help, I’ll appreciate any comment.
First of all, sorry for my bad english, I hope this will not affect the comprehension of my questions.
I’m starting using Civil 3D for roads maintenance purposes, and I need to define a corridor (one single region) with a section made by assembling generic objects that allow the customer to assign them a set of generic alphanumerical data, no matter what shape or function they have. For this purpose, I’ve already used Subassembly Composer for assembling a .pkt section with 4 simple shapes in a row, each containing a different numerical parameter representing a physical condition of the road pavement.
What I have to do now is to assign a data set with the different values of those parameters, which I know from a previous survey, along the entire alignment with a known step (1 meter, for example). I can do it manually from the Section Editor interface in Civil 3D scrolling section by section, but I need to find an automatic procedure from an excel data set to Civil 3D.

• Is it Dynamo the correct tool for this purpose?
  • Is there anything already available that can help me building this procedure?

Thank you

Hi @NicoR ,

Welcome to the forum!
Someone may correct me, but as far as I know corridor section parameter override is not yet exposed in the API, so I think automatization not possible yet. This is something I struggle with as well. So in short answer this is not something done easily in Dynamo.
There are some tricks in SA Composer for Baseline.Regionstart and Baseline.Regionend, or create multiple regions from excel data with Dynamo, but that results in tons of regions in your case, which is the opposite of convinient :smiley:
Also you can try playing with the Corridorstate Class, but that is beyond my knowledge :frowning:
https://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2020/ENU/?guid=2ad444ae-ace2-8c30-0891-27d35fa219b0

Hi, thanks for answering so fast! Well, sounds like I’m in a big trouble :joy::sweat_smile:
Ok, so I’ll try to find a solution starting from your suggestions, I’m not giving up
thank you

Hi @NicoR,

You should be able to do it with this node.

AppliedSubassembly

2 Likes

Hi, thanks! your help is maybe at a lifesaver level!! I’ll try and let you know, maybe I’ll have to ask for some more support, thank you so so much!

1 Like

Wow thanks @mzjensen,

You’ve proven me wrong again, i did not know about this node. It’s working.
@NicoR Here is a tested example, in case you need it.

2 Likes

Sure I need it, thank you! Where can I find more?

Well, this is something I made for quick testing @mzjensen 's idea.
If I have time I’ll look at your problem, because I need something like that as well.
But in the meantime I think you can solve this yourself. You have to amend the my example with the importexcel node and you’ll need some list sorting.
There are lots of ideas in the forum as well, if you have trouble with other nodes.

1 Like

Great, thank you! I’ll keep posting in this thread sth about my progresses in solving this task (it’s my very first experience with Dynamo, I’d rather should say with Civil3D :sweat_smile:), so pls let’s keep in touch :vulcan_salute:

Hi, I’m again on this thread, I couldn’t work on it until now, so here I’m again asking for a little help as a newbie.
I tried to make your same steps, but I obtain the warnings/errors on the picture below. You have any idea on the reason why my “Corridors” node is different from yours or why my “Corridor.Baselines” node doesn’t accept the input corridor from my “Corridors” and “Selection.Corridor.Byname” nodes (This operation on featured-based basline is invalid)?
Thank you

Yes, if the corridor has feature lines as baselines, then this is the issue.

:sweat_smile: I get it, but which is the solution for that issue? Sorry, but I’m a newbie, pls be patient :slightly_smiling_face:

None that I know of other than to change the corridor to use alignments and profiles instead.

1 Like