Area of polycurves intersect with each other on one side

Hi, I hope you are having a good week.
I have a problem with finding the area of these polycurves( i want them as a list ). Each poly curve intersects with another one with one curve. ( Instead of having 8 curves, use 7 curves for creating 2 polycurves.)
I used “group curves”, “PolyCurves.ByjoinedCurves”( i got an error: polycurve maybe branching )and “PolyCurves.CloseWithLine” but it did not work.
Does anybody know a node/custom node or a method that might solve this problem?
Thanks in advance for your time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Something to try:

1. Build a bounding rectangle which encompasses the entire geometry and then some - it’s imperative you don’t have any overlapping points. Make sure this is in plane with the other curves too.
  2. Create a surface by patch from that rectangle.
  3. Extrude all the curves on the normal of the rectangle (I assume you can just use the global Z axis here).
  4. Build a polysurface by the extruded surfaces.
  5. Split the surface by the polysurface - you should have a bunch of small surfaces, most rectangles and an oddly shaped… thing.
  6. Get the distance from each surface to the original rectangle, and discard the one with a value of 0.
  7. The remaining surfaces are the ‘areas’ which you’re after. Pull the perimeter curves and build polycurves from each, or just get the area of the surface if that’s what you’re after.
1 Like

@jacob.small a little something like this? (Requires the #springs package)

Dynamo v2 - Find rectangle areas with recursive geometry split.dyn (50.3 KB)

@jacob.small Thank you so much Jacob.
In step 4, when I want to create Polysurface I got this error: (Warning: PolySurface.ByLoft operation failed. Unable to loft! : NOT_ALL_SECTIONS_MEET – Some but not all sections meet)

findarea.dyn (23.2 KB)

Extrude the curves, then build a polysurface by the resulting surfaces. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I extruded them and then made Polysurface but how to create a PolySurface perpendicular to this Polysurface by using the surfaces? :smiley:

y
thank you in advance.

Also your bounding box needs to be enlarged so it doesn’t touch the original linework.

1 Like

@jacob.small I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

1 Like