Alternative to ObjectExtensions.GetParameters in Dynamo for Civil 3D 3.2

Hello,

I recently updated to Dynamo for Civil 3D version 3.2 and noticed that the ObjectExtensions.GetParameters node is no longer available. I used this node extensively in my previous tools, and now many of them are not functioning as expected due to its absence.

Could someone please let me know if there is an alternative node that provides the same functionality as ObjectExtensions.GetParameters in the new version? I’m finding it difficult to continue my work without this feature.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat - some C3d-Toolkit nodes are missing and I havn’t found a way around it yet.

The object-data (OD)-nodes have disappeared as well - it’s a shame because the work with the new version is so much smoother.

Hopefully they will get added over time.

2 Likes

I haven’t been able to upgrade yet, so I apologize for asking this and not just checking myself. Does this also include the ObjectExtensions.SetParameters node? The Get/Set parameters node combination was very powerful, and I used them in countless dynamo graphs.

Hi all,

Copying this here:

Regarding the ObjectExtensions nodes from the package, we do not plan to add these type of “do everything” nodes into the core product. Our preference is to add dedicated nodes for the properties that you need so that they can have dedicated sample files, in-depth documentation, appropriate info/warning messages, contribute to the Node Autocomplete machine learning models, appear in search results, etc.

You mentioned that you used these nodes extensively. My ask is:

1. Take a look at what is included in the Civil 3D 2025.1 update and see if you can replace the ObjectExtensions nodes in your existing graphs
  2. If anything is missing, please let me know so we can consider them for future additions
1 Like

So we can expect a normal property node for arc, ellipse, hatch, leader, line, mleader, mline, mtext, spline, polyline, polyline2d, region, section, solid, circulararc3d, ellipticalarc3d, matrix3d, offsetcurve3d, planerentity, and likely dozens of more object types? :grimacing:

If there is a need for such items, we will do our best to meet the need.

1 Like

Thanks @mzjensen! I was finally able to scan the 2025.1 ppdate, and I’m excited to start updating my current library to the new version with all the new OOTB nodes.

It does seem like several new dedicated nodes are in the Civil 3D 2025.1 update that can pull parameters from various AutoCAD and Civil 3D objects. There are some gaps, but this update gives me confidence that, in time, those gaps can be filled.

The hesitancy of not having the ObjectExtensions nodes is that these “do everything” nodes have filled those gaps in the past when there wasn’t a dedicated node. Personally, I’m unable to dedicate the time to learning Python with my day job to fill those gaps, so having the “do everything” nodes helped a lot. The beauty of Dynamo, for me, is that it does not require me to know a programming language to automate design tasks.

I did see some missing nodes however where I cannot replace the ObjectExtensions.SetParameterByValue node. Often, I’ve found this node extremely useful to get current parameters in a design alignment and then set different values to those parameters to evaluate several design options in a parametric design script. So, a focus on not only getting parameters but also the ability to set values for those parameters, where possible, would be great to see in future additions. Some examples of missing nodes that cannot be replaced that I’ve found so far and would like to see in future additions include:

1. AlignmentSubentity.SetCurveRadius
  2. AlignmentSubentity.SetSpiralLength

I did see many nodes already in the update that set different parameters. The profile nodes for setting entity lengths, K values, and radius are perfect examples of how they can replace the ObjectExtensions.SetParameterByValue node. I’m just also looking for similar nodes for the alignment subentities.

Great work on this update, and I am looking forward to implementing the update in our workflows!

1 Like

Thanks very much for the feedback, @omar.g! Glad to hear that you’re enjoying the update :slight_smile:

Got it. I will add these to the queue for consideration :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

In the Dynamo nodes, I can’t find TinSurfaceExtensions.AddStandardBreaklines which was available in the previous version. Does anyone know about this? If it’s not available, could it be added?