Aligning CAD drawings to project base point

Dear Revit Forum,

Our workflow involves designing a building in Revit, using CAD drawings drawn by another design team.

The current issue we’re facing is that the plans are all drawn planar, and the process of cleaning the cad drawings, saving as a separate cad file, linking in revit, and aligning the drawings to the correct coordinates is a very manual and labour intensive task, especially if there are many drawings.

Our solution is the following:

1. CAD design team places a shared coordinate symbol in the CAD drawings (a circular polyline). The shared coordinates are the intersection point between one of the grid lines.
  2. We write a script that orients the entire plan drawing, that aligns the coordinates from the base point drawn in the CAD file, to the coordinates of the project base point in revit. The Plan drawing is then moved up the Z direction to the right elevation.
  3. For sections, the exact same process is done, however the drawing is first rotated 90 in either x or y axis to its correct orientation.

I am able to write and execute this script easily in grasshopper, as Rhino is predominantly a CAD based modelling software, but I would really appreciate some assistance on how to write a script like this in Dynamo (or whether its even possible). It would require the designer to either be able to select curves in Autocad, and input them somehow in the dynamo script, or select multiple curves in the CAD drawings directly within the Revit environment.

Thanks, and I appreciate your reply.

Ben