Addons Dynamo

What are some addons one must have?

Hi @jazzsharma200,

The number of downloads and the number of positive votes of the packages is a good indicator.
Then some packages are generalists (archilab, Clockwork, Rhythm, Spring Nodes, Genius Loci) and others are more specialized (Data-Shapes for user interfaces, bimorphNodes for DWGs and intersections).

2 Likes

This is my list these days (in R20, still my ‘home build’ currently). Many are older builds as I had to commit to some here and there due to making public facing youtube videos. I avoid using custom nodes on YouTube where I can, and if it wont add too much time to a video/workflow.

I know you’re still learning Dynamo, so Monocle is handy for this - it adds some helpful features to Dynamo. I mostly find myself using nodes from Crumple as I manage this package, and part of my intent behind it was to lower my dependence on other packages.

Having said that, Genius Loci, Rhythm and Clockwork I use quite a lot - both to learn from how they’ve approached challenges in Python but also just generally when I’m scripting on the fly/for myself. Alban puts a lot of love into Genius Loci (and his use of exposed Python is fantastic for learners), and John/Andreas support Rhythm/Clockwork well when time allows them (they’re both quite busy these days I think). Rhythm is mostly zero touch, so you can’t see into the nodes insitu, but John keeps them available on github in source for viewing.

I tend to just use Crumple when working with clients, so I can troubleshoot with them from a package and dynamo perspective. I have great faith in what the other packages do (and they’re arguably a bit cleaner/developed than mine) however, so if you’re learning Dynamo I recommend them all.

Orchid is more for working with families. It’s a complex package to use and master, and you’ll find that you get less assistance for it as the author (erfajo) works via github and doesn’t visit the forums much these days to address queries/requests.

Data Shapes is the package for building advanced UI’s in Dynamo, and I encourage you to learn it eventually - especially if you are building scripts for others to use. It’s essentially Dynamo Player, but on steroids. It can also enable UI’s in multiple stages and helps scripts feel more like an add-in when used to its full potential. It’s author (Mostafa El Ayoubi) is a great man who happily takes on feedback and queries.

I used to use archi-lab, but have found I depend on it less now that I have Crumple. I’m also not so sure how well supported it is these days as I know Konrad is quite busy also, but am aware he’s still updating it. Don’t see him on the forums as much as back in the day, but he’s around in the AEC community very much (and runs a blog where he uses archi-lab still).

MEPover, Sparrow, bimorph and springnodes I keep for very specific purposes. Respectively they are Dynamo for MEP, geometry for MEP, CAD and intersections and geometry/sketch collection. They have quite a lot of other utility in them though also.

Try not to depend on custom packages where possible, as there are often longer ways to do and learn things when starting out. They are useful, but will be challenging to deploy when you work in teams as well so come with challenges here as well. There are ways to manage this such as Orkestra by Data-Shapes.

Hope that helps!

10 Likes

yes…almost the same here without Crumple…hehehe :wink: anyway great explanation :wink:

3 Likes

Pedagogical and thorough explanation !
By the way thank you for your kind words.

3 Likes

Don’t forget Monocle. It’s super useful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes