Adding Shared Parameter to a Loaded and Used Family

Hi There,
I was wondering if there is a way to add a shared parameter to a family which is already used in a Revit project, by Dynamo.
I am trying to add a Hinge Side Parameter for my Doors, but I get an error at the end of the code. Could you kindly please help me to solve this issue?

I do appreciate you help and time in advance.

Best Regards,
Farshid

Automatic Door Hinge Side.dyn (46.8 KB)

hi @farshidkaviani

if you check the error, it says that you should pass Orchid.RevitProject.Common.Document instead of Revit.Application.FamilyDocument in the familyDocument input. call the family via orchid node.

-biboy

1 Like

Hi @blsalvio
Thank you for the Suggestion, but the Problem is I could not find the Orchid Node! It seems there is not such a node available any more!

Regards,
Farshid

See if that helps,
https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/add-shared-parameters-to-some-families-orchid-package/21254/13?u=_vijay

Hi @_Vijay
Thank you for the input. My first impression is this code is useful when you already know where your Revit Family is located, which is not my case. If you could look in the Dynamo file you would find that I am trying to filter those door instances without “Hinge Side” Parameter in their family, in Revit file I received, and add the mentioned parameter to them.
Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Farshid

From my understanding you need to add shared parameter in to particular family’s.

From above replay you can achieve that i think.

if not where you struggling do to that?

Here is a simple example of that.

Thanks again for the input. Maybe this image explains better what I want to do. Basically I want to select families used in a Revit model and add a Shared parameter to the families without that parameter Automatically. Maybe you know a trick how to get families from Revit and open family documents without providing a file path.

Regards,
Farshid

Like this?

1 Like

Thanks for the help once again. There was a bit of advancement, though I am troubled with loading the edited family back to Revit.
I can see the Shared Parameter is being Added into Family, but not in the Revit!
Do you possibly know how can I Load & Close the Edited Family Back to Revit?

I do appreciate your time and help in advance.

Regards,
Farshid

for it add in to the project try with attached .dyn . let me know the response.

Family Add Parameter.dyn (14.5 KB)

1 Like

Save and Load Family.dyn (26.0 KB)

Hi Again,
Thank you so much for the suggestion. It works for a single project. Though not exactly the way I wanted to deal with the problem.
I wished we could get the families from Revit->Filter those without Parameter->Open Families->Edit Families->Add Shared Parameter->Load & Close Families.
NB: I don not Want to open families using family files, since I do not have them

Any suggestions is highly appreciated.

I do appreciate your time and help once again.

Regards,
Farshid

hi @farshidkaviani

It is possible to do what you want but it would be very difficult to do it since some of the nodes that will be used are still not available in Dynamo (as far as I know). Because of that you have to code it in python. The Revit plugin called RushForth already has this functionality but it is not free. Anything that can done in Revit plugins are also possible in Dynamo since both platform utilizes RevitAPI.

-biboy

Hi,
Thank you for the input.

De-obfuscated for my own future reference:

1 Like