Add Tooltip to Shared Parameter Created with Excel/Dynamo

Hi all,

I am working on generating shared parameters from excel in order to allow non-revit/dynamo users to determine the fields of the new parameters.

One area I can’t seem to crack is populating the parameter tooltips field. I noticed when generating a shared parameter manually that a tooltip gets stored under the heading of “Description” but I can’t find a way to edit this via dynamo.

There seems to be some info out there to solve this problem using revit API however I am keen to find a solution within dynamo to keep the process in one place and it doesn’t help that my API skill level is pretty low.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Cheers,

Marty

Hi Marty,
If you are familiar with Orchid it has this functionality in it’s package https://github.com/erfajo/OrchidForDynamo/blob/master/Samples/Dynamo_2.x.x/Projects/Parameter.png

Otherwise maybe paste your API links and a couple of nodes and perhaps we can get it running in Dynamo?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

thanks for replying so quickly, I wasn’t aware of the Orchid package it has been really useful. I am still having a few issues though.

I want to be able to create a load of shared parameters using excel as the input, these parameters will be of various types (text, number, length etc.), categorized under various groups (PG_TEXT, PG_DATA, PG_GEOMETRY etc), they will also be a mixture of instance and type parameters.

Ideally I would like to create all the parameters at once and send them to multiple model categories at a time, this is the bit where I start find problems. So far I have achieved mixed types, groupings and instance/type status. I did receive an error in Dynamo when creating a mixture of parameter types but the parameters were still created in Revit so i’m not sure if there is an issue there or not, see below.

I have attached my Dynamo script and the Excel I am working from, hopefully this is something simple like lacing that I am missing.

Many thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated!

Marty

SHARED PARAMETERS_WIP.xlsx (11.2 KB)

SHARED PARAM_WIP.dyn (22.3 KB)

Hey,

Glad it seems useful, perhaps post to the Orchid github and Erik will likely respond… I think it depends quite how he has set up the nodes? He doesn’t post on here anymore… Otherwise I will get my hands dirty!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks again for getting back to me so quickly. I think I have found a solution that seems to work so far but if I run into any further issues I’ll have a look on github.

Cheers,

Marty

1 Like