Adaptive component along two divided curves

Hi everybody!

I have a (hopefully) little problem with placing my adaptive components at points between two equally divided curves and can’t find the reason for it.

I’m trying to create a railtrack. The workflow is importing point coordinates from Excel, creating two nurbs curves, dividing them and then… ??? The same AC works with the points from Excel (as you can see on the screenshot below). Unfortunately it doesn’t work with the divided curves…

I’d be very thankful for every hint :slight_smile:

Hello,
Can you show the drop down display of your curve.points as segment length from point, list.create and list.transpose. I have a slight idea what it could be but I am unsure at this point.
Thanks,

The warning message’s text on the adaptive component by curves node would help too.

Hi Patrick,
here they are:

Hi Jacob,
it’s “the Arguments have issues” as you can see upon.

Notice you have two different length of list - this means you wind up feeding a few single points to a family that needs pairs.

Oh, that’s right. Thank you for the hint. I’ll try to clear this up and see what happens :slight_smile:

This was the right hint.
I have equalized the lists wiht the “list.takeitems” node and it works. Now there are some new problems, but I think that I can fix them :slight_smile:

Thank you very much Jacob!

You may be better served to use a curve.point at parameter node here to resolve the new issues and maintain an equal spacing on both curves. Episode #2 of the Generative Design for Busy People webinar series has a good example of that concept applied to structural framing on complex geometries.

https://enterprisehub.autodesk.com/webinars/generative-design-for-busy-people-episode-2-practical-examples

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I haven’t heard about it until now. Very interesting :slight_smile:

The curve.pointatparameter node isn’t the solution because the distance between the points is sometimes equal and sometimes different. It’s based on the different radius along both curves. I think, a better way will be to place one point AC’s along an axis and keep them still perpendicular to the axis. The challenge will be to tilt every AC according to the course of the both curves I created from the point list.
I hope it’s understandable :smiley:

Mostly understandable. Not sure how the Curve.PointAtParameter isn’t a solution though. Perhaps a sketch is in order?

Here it comes:

The 1 point AC has allways to be perpendicular to the axis and the axis is going to be divided in equal segments/chords. For this reason, the distance between the AC’s along the left and Right rail is going to change depending on the radius of the axis.
Moreover the AC’s have to rotate corresponding to the height of the left and right rail.

Do I need an AC with 3 adaptive points?:thinking:

I still don’t think I understand how segmenting by parameter values doesn’t work, perhaps if your curve paths are too complex or too long? In any case, I’d got with two points, or even a line based one where the line id created by the best fit though the point at the right track, left track, and center line. Keep in mind I am in no way a railroad engineer though. :wink:

Unfortunately me either :smiley:
The curve is very long and complex. I’ll keep going on and report. Nevertheless, thanks for your help Jacob!