Academic research related to Generative Design

Hi, my name’s Arman Arisman. I am a doctoral student from Indonesia. Here’s my profile: Arman ARISMAN | Master of Architecture | Bandung Institute of Technology, Bandung | ITB | Architectural Design

I’m planning my thesis related to Generative Design. I want to research the development of generative design, especially about its potential in architectural design. Any suggestions from where I should start? Or maybe there is a practitioner I can contact to discuss?

Thanks and regards,

1 Like

We’ve already connected via email in relation to this, but @jacob.small has heaps of great resources he’s been involved with or authored primarily related to GD. I’m sure in addition to below he can point you in a few directions.

Do take the time to learn whatever base platform you are planning to use. So if it’s generative design for Revit, you should first develop your understanding of Dynamo as well. Be mindful that it is very difficult/timely to genrate complex studies such as option driven test planning. I’d suggest against beginning with this - most users do and inevitably give up rather than work their way up to this sort of thing. Understand that to get help from people on this forum you will typically need scripts for them to review and give tips on - occasionally students or academics jump on and ask for assistance with generative design before they have begun any scripts or studies; doesn’t tend to go well.

I particularly enjoyed this presentation by Jacob, fun subject matter as well:

The primer is handy:

Space planning (in a bit of an abstract sense):

Check out the example partway into this presentation by @Vikram_Subbaiah:

As I suggested in our email discussion, strongly consider exploring Grasshopper’s various generative tools also (Galapagos, Octopus, Opossum, Wallacei etc.). They can handle different types of geometric constraints and scale, although have a naturally higher difficulty curve with this higher ceiling.

2 Likes