2.16 Dynamo Player

I’m loving the picture feature of the latest Dynamo in Revit:

Going to have SO much fun with this at work :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Just updated the title so people don’t confuse the post with the Dyno Browser add-in.

Definitely a cool feature. Dynamo Player in 2023 is so hard to see when I get stuck back in earlier versions. I’d love to make it work at company scale and put love/effort into the scripts with icons and tooltips etc, alas I am still spanning 2020-2023.

3 Likes

So are we but… All work and no play etc etc :smiley:

3 Likes

Has anyone got tips for the best size/ resolution/ format for these?

I’ve been using 300x300px for them and they seem to generally look nice.

1 Like

That is no reason not to start adding this data in 2022/2023 (which both have Graph Properties enabled.)

I build my graphs in the newer version and work backward. As long as you keep in mind the big changes, this works well, and you get the best of both worlds. Better metadata in 2022/2023 and backward compatibility with 2021, 2020, and 2019. You also get your graphs to be spaced out appropriately for 2023 and have just a little extra room in older versions.

Changes Include:

• Dropdown fixes in 2022 (the requirement of Dynamo future file in 2021 and older)
  • IronPython2.7 package (in 2023 and newer)
  • The changed IF node behavior. (I avoid this node if I am managing compatibility between versions)
    • admittedly, this one ticks me off the most because if you use the IF node in 2023, your graph breaks when used in older versions. This sucks.
2 Likes

It’s a bigger picture issue for me regarding a consistent supported IT approach for ensuring users all have IP2.7, time and conscious effort required to work around those things and a general shift to pyrevit at the firm. I also just dont have as much confidence that there wont be more things to account for in future that make scaling more difficult without more workarounds.

Still its a good point to make for those willing to future proof their dynamo strategy at scale.

sounds good.

The above comment is drastically different than your initial comment about “spanning versions.”

Adapting your graphs to work between versions is very different from “I use something else now.”

Yep! I definitely think Dynamo users can benefit from building in the way I mentioned above.

If another tool is working across versions from people, cool. But that is different than discussing Dynamo versioning and building graphs for future proofing.

One of the main motivators for that shift was that pyrevit straddles all revit builds consistently once installed. Still need to account for API changes, but it supports the same python engines across all versions currently. From that perspective aside from using version checks when calling on API that doesnt exist in old builds yet (or just disabling tools altogether using bundle context), it took away the motivation/need to work around dynamo’s versioning requirements to follow.

Like I said it wont be the right approach for every firm, and pyrevit isn’t perfect of course. Dynamo is still very much where most of our tools begin their life, and where I encourage new programmers inside/outside the firm to begin their learning and automation efforts. Not intending to say ‘boo dynamo’, just give some perspective from my experience.

:+1:

Late to the party as usual, but we are now starting to use Revit 2024 on some projects, and had a chance to use the “new” Dynamo player. I too love the addition of the thumbnail image and description, and could not resist adding them to three graphs that I updated for 2024(.0.2).

1 Like