Dynamo Player settings shared between 2021 and 2022?

Hello all, I need some help with a new-to-us environment that I’m hoping almost all of you are currently using. We have historically ran Revit on VMware cloud machines that are version specific so that there was never any cross contamination between the versions. We’re trying to get a new set of machines setup with all 4 of the current versions installed (19-22). Everything seemed to be going well until we started looking at Dynamo Player in 2021 and 2022. They share the same settings file path…

%localappdata%\dynamoplayer-4\User data\dynamoplayerinstance 1

So if someone were to open player in 21 and browses to a folder, this would be a folder with v2.6 scripts. Then when opening the player in 22 this v2.6 folder will be the first thing they see (But 22 is meant to run v2.10 scripts, but I’m sure you knew that)…that’s not a good thing.

Side note, we have scripts that run with the launch of Revit that preset the settings for player, among other things, so that they would be pointed at the correct network folder the first time they launch the player.

Is there any way around this? I’m assuming we have to wait for Autodesk to update the player/Dynamo so that they will look at a new local settings folder? (dynamoplayer-5, anyone?)

I don’t have any workarounds for you unfortunately, but it is a known bug that is fixed in the next release.

1 Like

@Michael_Kirschner2 when you say ‘next release’, what exactly does that mean? Am I waiting for Autodesk to package a new version of Dynamo in Revit 2022, or am I waiting for Revit 2023…and then 2022 will never get fixed?
If I have to wait for Revit to include a newer version of Dynamo, and since the latest Revit 2022 update hasn’t helped me, is there a way I can manually update Dynamo in Revit 2022 to solve my issues?
Thanks for your insight!

@adbryson I can try to answer this for you.

The first thing to know is that Dynamo Player development is separate from Dynamo for Revit. Player version is actually independent of the Dynamo version and the Revit version. So when we say “next release” we’re talking specifically about the next release of Dynamo Player which may or may not coincide with a Dynamo for Revit update. Currently, there is no method for manual updates.

@Michael_Kirschner2 Curious to know if this means Player will now be Revit/D4R version specific or just that the new folder structure functionality makes this issue irrelevant.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification @Nick_Boyts

This has been logged with Revit support, they are hopeful to fix it in Revit 2022 but cannot guarantee it:
Dynamo Player for Revit 2022 uses same folder as Dynamo Player for Revit 2021 | Revit 2022 | Autodesk Knowledge Network