Where to start learning?

Hello! i am new to this world of dynamo and python and i would like to know if anyone has an advice about where should i start. i have previous knowledge of revit and i am looking for improve my habilities with parametric design and programming. thanks!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and the next wave!

My advice: Start with the primer. Do it cover to cover. Skip nothing. Even if it feels so basic you think you already know it (I.E. typing hello world). Even if you don’t think you will ever need it (I.E. orienting solar panels). Do any part that is confusing a second or third time until it clicks. If after three attempts it’s still unclear ask questions here and we’ll help you out.

http://dynamoprimer.com/en/

After that, play with design script for awhile - it’s easier than Python as it doesn’t have as many formatting requirements and is more powerful than most think. Don’t soend too much time on it though - just enough to understand the concepts of defining variables and using functions. Then get into the Python stuff. Then get into the zero touch stuff. Decide which method you like best (nodes, designscript, Python, zero touch), and try something you haven’t seen before using your method of choice.

Don’t be afraid to fail as you go along the process - you likely will get stuck often at first (if it was easy someone else would already have done it). Remember it’s all just 1s and 0s and can be restored if you’re set up correctly.

10 Likes

And study some basic building informatics aswell.
Think like this:
If you want to make an inventory of a building, and have a lot of chairs in the building of the same brand and type, you would calculate them by pcs. Analog of point based objects.
If you want to make an inventory of a building, and have a lot of railings in the building of the same brand and type, you would calculate them by lineair meters. Analog of line based objects. You added a dimension.
If you want to make an inventory of a building, and have a lot of walls in the building of the same brand and type, you would calculate them by square meters. Analog of line based objects with a height. You added jet another dimension.
If you want to make an inventory of a building, and have a lot of rooms in the building , you would calculate them by cubic meters. Analog of spatial objects. You added a dimension again.

This all seems trivial, but helps you choose the family template in Revit, and help you with creating stuff using Dynamo.

Marcel