What are the Task that can be Automated, for a Revit Modeling Company (Not Design based company)

Hello Friends,

A Modeling company (CAD to Revit) asking me, what are the steps / Task can be automated using dynamo. So i have told them few task that can be automated as per my knowledge and understanding.

But lot of other company also facing the same problem, they dont know the task that can be automated as of today. So i am requesting you all to suggest the task or problem statement that can be automated for Modeling company (CAD to Revit).

The purpose of this post is to accumulate all the task/problem statement that can be automated across the world.

I would like to suggest some task that can be automated.

Task 1) Placing point based family from CAD to Revit. for placing light fixture, fire alarm, switch, etc these are point based family and generally we have a block in autocad for showing these family. So extract those point from CAD and place family in revit.

Task 2) Place hanger support at equal distance.

Task 3) Invert level of Pipes / Bottom of Duct - for getting the Bottom of Pipes (Insulated pipe or Non insulated) is a challenging task and depend upon the reference plane for example need to know BOP from top slab (Level 2) or from floor level (Level 1)

It all depends on how the DWG’s are structured.
If all Layers in the DWG have been used for all the different purposes (Lighting in a Lighting Layer) many things can be automated with a Dynamo script.
I’m working on Lighting from cad in the meantime.
Here is a little bit of what i’m doing.

1 Like

All modeling is data. Dynamo can manipulate data more effectively and quickly than anyone can via point and click processes. Ergo at a certain point anything can be done via Dynamo which is within the limits of the API (something which is very robust). So when asked my response is usually something like Well, basically anything you would like to, after all everything in that rvt file is all just data, and Dynamo works well with data. What would you like to do with it?

Also, I wouldn’t sell “modeling“ work short like that - it is short sighted and dismissive of what a lot of people do. Design is the act of making and recording decisions in a way which will allow someone else to build the end result, nothing more. There is an art in how this is done for any trade or task, be it building massing, envelope design, fire alarm locations, or the rest. Any given trade has a different set of standards, guidelines, restrictions, and codes which vary by location (steel is different in Sweden from that in the USA), but even in the most prescriptive trades the decisions still have to be made and recorded to communicate intent.

For example, the task of “placing hangers equally” which you qualified as ‘modeling’ is a design task (well unless you are purely matching the field condition, in which case the hangers won’t be equally spaced and may not even be code compliant) in that the user has to decide if they really want to be equal with the guideline spacing even though hangers will interfere with ductwork, or leave more bulky hangers exposed in the area of open ceiling, or whatever else may come along as a reason to decide to start the pattern here, or use a beefier hanger there, or the like. And oddly enough the logic in the hanger placement tool could likely be tweaked and repurposed for tasks which are seemingly unrelated, say the design of the layout for horse stalls in a barn (something I have gotten to learn a little bit about in the last year).

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to create this for days, Putting a family based on points from CAD to Revit.
I tried with countless possibilities found in the forum.
But none of the attempts were successful.
This time using the function; if the block name is the same as the tal family, import it in the same position.
What could I be doing wrong?
Thank you very much in advance
Would you help me?