Using archi-lab with multiple versions of revit?

I want to use archilab with revit 2021 and 2022. but when i downloaded the right version of archilab, then revit 21 see’s the right one. but revit 22 see’s the version for revit 21 and not the version for revit 22.

How can i solved this so it works?

@arjo ,

in our office we rebuild several packages via Python… so you are able to be indepent regarding versions.

the nodes are exposed! to use like clockwork

KR

Andreas

You’ll need to set up a separate package library for each Revit version. This will ensure you don’t have to double (or really more like quintuple) your work by rebuilding packages to work with every possible Revit deployment (as rebuilding everything via python would require). Just make sure that your 2022 version of Dynamo for Revit has it’s own package path, and the same for 2021. Ideally this is done by copying over all the nodes from the 2021 folder to the 2022 folder, and then testing your library. Anything which fails in 2022 would get updated to the new build. Then do the same thing for 2023.

3 Likes

Hi @JacobSmall thanks for your reaction.

I tried to make it work, but i don’t get it working. The picture below is the location for the packages we want to use. Because we are working with more computers.

On revit 2022 i made a new path to load the packages that we needed.

But when i look where dynamo for revit is installed, then by revit 2021 (dynamo 2.6) is located on the C disc. And there are installed the packages what we use.

And for revit 2022 is dynamo installed on the same C disc. But then is it dynamo 2.10. But here are not the packages that we use.

What we want is that the packages are on the location where every employee of the company can use it and that we don’t need to install it on each computer on the C disc. So that we only need to select the location of the packages.

thanks in advance
I replied because of limits for @arjo

This is likely a losing battle, but can be done if you want to put in a good amount of effort and revisit things often.

1. Ensure that network drive is less than 1gb in size to keep it from slowing down dynamo launch. This is due to a long standing bug which the team can’t fix without breaking quite a bit more. Judging by the folders there I’m guessing that would require some effort.
  2. Each build of Dynamo will need it’s own package folder; so you won’t be using the same packages/paths for Revit 2021 as you are 2022, but a separate one for 2022 and 2021 (and 2020, 2023, 2024 someday, etc.).
  3. Any time your network, infosec tools, user machines or server has an update test all nodes and Dynamo graphs completely. A slight change to one part of the larger system can change can cause things to stop working, which is a good thing. After all by putting the custom nodes on the server like this you are setting up your users to be executing code from system 1 (the server) on system 2 (their cpu) , which is an ideal situation for getting malicious code to execute on other systems.

Short of being willing/able to address those 3, your option is to use a technique to robo copy the packages into the local disc at log-in. This is pretty much the most foolproof way to manage deployment, and can be done without much effort by your IT team via GPO or other means.