Topography in dynamo

Hello !!
i have two topography surfaces in Revit placed over each other which some how differs in height. I want to calculate their differences in height. So here is my process.
i create grid lines mesh and took its intersection points. placed my both topographies over that grid mesh and project points on those topographies. For both topography surfaces , the point projected has same x,y but different z and thats why on that point i know its difference in height.

But i cannot do it in Revit, and i have to import my topography surface to dynamo which takes alot of time. I want to know that can i do this in Revit , like the intersection points of mesh can be projected on topography in Revit instead of importing topography to dynamo.
or should i change my method of importing topography to Revit.

dynamo for comparison.dyn (65.7 KB) I am sharing my code here and you can see in the group “getting topography” how i import my topography to dynamo

Assuming you have gathered your surfaces and found your relevant points, then two Point.Project nodes, followed by a Geometry.DistanceTo node should be all you need.

https://dictionary.dynamobim.com/#/Geometry/Point/Action/Project

https://dictionary.dynamobim.com/#/Geometry/Geometry/Action/DistanceTo

i mean is there any method to do it in Revit instead of dynamo. I mean the gridpoints which i project are also present in Revit and toposurface is also in Revit. I mean any code in dynamo that do these tasks in Revit. By this, i dont have to import topography surface into dynamo. which takes alot of time

You could pull the grids, make the points, and try a ray bounce to find the spot on the toposurface above the point (once for each toposurface), and then create a line between the points, and finally use the resulting curve to create a line based family.

No idea if the ray bounce will work though as I haven’t tried that before.

in revit you have the function graded region for this task.

it would be great if you could explain a little more please

this function is under the tab massing and site. You select the “existing” topo surface and then place the points for the new one. It calculates the fill and cut between the two surfaces. you can also import the new surface as CSV or DWG

its working, thanks.

1 Like

Can you please explain how you did this , can you estimate the quantities.