Tagging the mep connector using generic families is possible?

Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask if anyone have done tagging the mep connector using generic families? Im looking on a proper dynamo script and keep searching over the forum circulated here but not lucky enough to find specific workaround to get a good result.
I’m trying to present in 2D take off i.e., a workbench with a sink that has a hot & cold connectors but the non-Revit reviewer wished to see a symbol that represent mep connection on a layout.

I got some nodes that i used but still not getting a result.

I have created a generic annotation in order to tag all my Revit families with connector within my layout.

Similar image below I wished to be achieved.

Please advised and appreciated your responses.

Thanks in advance.
-Adrian

Hi @adriang,

I would get the location point of the instances you want to tag, and then use that location to place the generic family as the “tag”. You can’t actually tag the instances with the node you are attempting to use.

I believe there’s a node in Clockwork that creates view specific 2D families, which you could take a look at :slight_smile:

Good luck.

2 Likes

Hi @MartinSpence,

Thanks for tip. My goal is to create a 2D symbol represent the mep services, load to my project and tag that enable to detect automatically the exact location of specific connector of the familes within my layout views.

Have you still remember which 2d nodes you are referring to? It might be a big help for me to solve a dynamo script for this specific workflow.

-Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Is it possible for you to share a sample rvt file, containing the 2D family and some MEP?

I’m not at the computer right now, but I’ll get back to you regarding the node from clockwork.

Hi Adrian,

Here is one way you could achieve what you are trying to do.

1. Collect MEP geometry in the model
  2. Check connectors associated with all geometry and get their location
  3. Place a 2D symbol representative of the Fixture

Here is a quick example of how you can achieve this.

In this example i am only collecting plumbing fixtures as i am sure the elements are within the project file. You may use some linked model nodes to achieve the same result if the geometry is in a linked file.

next i would set up a filter for the actual fixture as i would suspect the 2D symbol for each different element to have different representations. eg. Basin would have a drain point + hot and cold water but a WC would only have a drain point + cold water.

as you can see above i have about 12 plumbing fixture in my model so i have selected to filter showers.

next step would be to collect connector info.

The shower family in the project i was working with had several connector points but since i only wanted one. i dropped the 2nd location using list chop. you might not need this - depending on your family.

lastly using the connector location i placed a 2D generic family on this location.

This is how it looked in the model.

Hope this gives you some direction.
Overall code for reference.

Cheers
DA

Hi @Ali_Daniel,

Thanks a lot for the scripts, could you share the @Revit.Currentview and List.Chop+ custom nodes to enable for me to try if the script will work on my model.

Thanks in advance.
-Adrian

Hi @MartinSpence,

Please see attached model sample.
Sample Model.rvt (3.8 MB)

“Revit.Currentview” - is from the Crumple Package

“List.Chop+” - is from Clockwork Package

[/quote]
Hi @Ali_Daniel,

Thanks a lot for the scripts, could you share the @Revit.Currentview and List.Chop+ custom nodes to enable for me to try if the script will work on my model.

Thanks in advance.
-Adrian

Thanks @Ali_Daniel Do you have direct link where can I download the package?

Regards,
Adrian

Hi @Ali_Daniel ,

I created the same script as yours, however I got error on FamilyInstance.ByPoint.

Regards,
-Adrian

Hi @Ali_Daniel,

I would like to share also with you my sample model.
Appreciated if you could have a look, if your script will work on my model.

Thanks a lot.
-Adrian
Sample Model.rvt (3.8 MB)

Adrian,

the reason why you were getting an error is because of how the element.connector list was being handled as it was reading your family in a specific way. the family you have had a completely different list of connector to what i had in my example.

To give you an example of how you can work with the family you have, say the WHB sink family.

and in the model

if you want this moved to the centre of the closest wall. you can look at some geometry translate nodes.

like so:

and in the model:

Thanks @Ali_Daniel Do you have direct link where can I download the package?

Regards,
Adrian
[/quote]

or

https://dynamopackages.com/

Hi @Ali_Daniel,

I’m very impressed, this is exactly what I’m looking for. I tried to follow your script and no errors now, however the symbol is not reflecting in my layout. If you dont mind could you share your .dyn files to me?
Appreciated the time you spent to solve the issues.

Many Thanks,
-Adrian

quote=“adriang, post:14, topic:89155, full:true”]
Hi @Ali_Daniel,

I’m very impressed, this is exactly what I’m looking for. I tried to follow your script and no errors now, however the symbol is not reflecting in my layout. If you dont mind could you share your .dyn files to me?
Appreciated the time you spent to solve the issues.

Many Thanks,
-Adrian
[/quote]

my apologies. this has to do with the nodes loaded on my machine. a lot of time i change stuff without renaming.

in your case you are creating the 2D annotation but it is not showing as the level component is not associated with it hence why you cant ‘see’ it.

use this:

if you are stuck i will give you the dyn file however i would recommend writing/trying it yourself - it helps in the long run.

mark as solution if you feel this answers your question.

cheers
DA

Hi @Ali_Daniel,

Im a bit confused now, Im not sure if the connector.Location node to be connected to Geometry.ClosesPointTo node. Better if I can have a copy of you script for me to understand correctly. Then it enables me to formulate a script to identify each of connector points for drain, hot & cold water along with their own 2D tag symbol.

-Adrian

Place 2D Annotation Given Element Connector Info.dyn (46.7 KB)

Thanks @Ali_Daniel for the file, well received.

Just a last favor could you open this custom nodes and show me what contain inside, I will create then a custom nodes similar to that.

A big Thanks as always!
-Adrian

Adrian,

go View>Show Graph Package Dependency and download the packages that you are missing. There are no custom packages that i have which you cant download.

alternatively you could use a variety of other nodes that you might have already which will give the same result.

@Ali_Daniel

I simplified the script according to what I’m trying to achieve, I got no errors. However, no symbol being tag in my layout. I able to see a blue points only where the connectors are located.

-Adrian