Sweep profile family

Hello Dynamo Friends :slight_smile:

I want to use a profile family to sweep a solid and later build a loadable family.

To get the geometry of the profile I use this code:

famDoc = doc.EditFamily(family)

famCollector = FilteredElementCollector(famDoc)
sketch = famCollector.OfClass(Sketch)

for i in sketch:
	cArray = list(i.Profile)
cArray[:] = [[Revit.GeometryConversion.RevitToProtoCurve.ToProtoType(y, True ) for y in x] for x in cArray]
OUT = cArray

The result is that the sweep is not at my path, so I think there is a problem about family coordinates of the profile and my path coordinates?

Later I have to make a plane out of my curves and rotate the profile to plane normal, but first step is to get my profile on the path somehow.

Appreciate any help, kind regards!

Profile:

Ok, I´m getting there, moved the profile to all curve start ponts:

Can you post the files (rvt/rfa and dyn) to work with this? Otherwise we are kinda guessing at the solution.

One thought: build a new profile family, load it into the document, and change the sweep’s profile to the newly loaded family.

1 Like

Aaaand now I´m failing at placing the families.

I just tried to place them at the startpoints of the curves, this does not work because the families have obviously a different base point.

Do I have to create the families with a specific basepoint in first place?
blue=dyn geometry, grey=revit family

I’m out of guesses. Can you post a file or two to reproduce the issue?

2 Likes

dyn and rvt attached.

Thanks for your help jacob!

SweepMe.rvt (6.0 MB)
SweepAtCurve.dyn (80.8 KB)

Are there other nodes for family creation out there, or which API methods can I use?

Not entirely sure I know what you’re after, but this seems to be what you want, and as an added benefit you get a family which can be edited natively.

Generate Sweep Families

Sweep Family By Curves and Profile.dyn (16.8 KB)

1 Like

:open_mouth:

Ok, I thought saving a geometry object to a family and living with a non editable thing is the only option I have.
Did not know that I can just work in a new family and create geometry with revit sweeping, etc…

That´s amazing! Thanks you for the code Jacob :slight_smile:

1 Like