Streamlining Workflow & List Manipulation

Hi All,

Sorry for the beginner level query - I just started using Dynamo. My script is currently generating a number of sheets and views and setting specific parameters for these elements (sheet name, sheet number, view name, view template,…) by reading and extracting data from an excel table (screenshot #2).

Currently (screenshot #1) I’m taking my list of newly created floor plans, extracting each item individually and then applying the required view template.

I know this is a cumbersome and inefficient method of doing this but it was the only way I could get it to work. I think the greatest issue I’m having is manipulating the list of floor plans (blue) as desired.

If I could filter the list using IF statements and use that to divide my list into sublists I could then apply view templates to batches of views, instead of individually. For example:
IF the floor plan view name contains “EXISTING” OR “DEMOLITION” then put into 0 List.
IF the floor plan view name contains “SITE” OR “SETOUT” then put into 1 List.
IF the floor plan view name contains “GROUND” OR “BASEMENT” OR “LEVEL” OR “ROOF” then put into 2 List.
(On a side-note, can the Views.SetViewTemplate node be used to apply a view template to several views at once?)

While the above would be a great improvement on what I currently have, is this even a good approach? Am I looking at it in this the wrong way? Just trying to get to grips with the Dynamo logic… Could/should I be looking to better leverage the data in my excel sheet to approach this task in a more sophisticated and efficient manner than above? Or are there any critical nodes that I should be utilising in this workflow?

I’ve been at this for a couple of days now and I haven’t come across the relevant answers online so if anybody can assist with suggestions and guidance, or by directing me to a relevant learning source on the topic I’d be most grateful.

If you need me to upload any additional information, let me know and I’ll respond ASAP.

Thanks for your time!

Screenshot #1 (View Template Application):

Screenshot #2 (Excel Spreadsheet):

Sheet Generator II.dyn (87.9 KB)

you can play with setting a code block for getting index 3 to 7 by typing in 3…7 then set lacing to longest in the set viewtemplate node

2 Likes

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for your reply! I found your advice to be very helpful in better manipulating my list.

I’ll have to do some extra homework to figure out how to take my list manipulation to the next level.

1 Like

@dynamo_den why don’t you use the info you have in the Excel template?