Start Up Dynamo

Hi All

Can I boot up Dynamo using Python, PyRevit or other methods?
I am transferring my office’s Dynamo scripts to the Revit interface using pyRevit, and it would help if there were an on/off button for Dynamo, so it does not have to start up when running a script.
I noticed plugins, such as pollination and Rhino Inside, have start buttons, and I’d like to know if that is achievable with Dynamo.

My idea is to create an empty script and assign it to an on/off button. Is that an efficient way to do it?
Thanks for your help. @GavinCrump

Generally, Dynamo opens as a background application in tools that run scripts without showing Dynamo. I seem to recall the term ‘idle’ being used to describe how it can work this way, but can’t recall the specific description.

If you want to deal with the slow first run, I’d suggest making a script that does nothing, and making that a ‘boot me up’ button. I’ve found beyond the first run other scripts run a fair bit faster.

I don’t believe you can keep dynamo there sitting/waiting to go unless your tool keeps dynamo there and callable afterwards. As far as I know dynamo generally soft closes in background after a script finishes, I would assume for good reason. I may be mistaken here though. It would always be a bit slow due to the script being opened in dynamo in background, and that can’t be helped I think.

2 Likes

Thanks, Gavin.
I will go for the empty script.
I have also noticed that the scripts do run faster after the first run, but I think the slow first run could put inexperienced users off running scripts. I believe a bootup button would be a great psychological trick to keep people invested.
Thanks!

2 Likes

You could put a UI dialogue in it too once it runs saying something like ‘im good to to!’ too. Check out my node in Crumple caller UI.Messenger as an example (python can be lifted out too to avoid packages).

I find UI messages really help give users confidence in tools, especially if its unclear when a script is ‘done’ without dynamo player to report.

1 Like

Great idea. Adding that. Thanks!

1 Like

Used the data-shapes UI for consistency.
Thanks!

1 Like

Noice one, and a nifty looking toolbar!

1 Like

Ahh, thanks a lot!

1 Like