Split list, insert values, combine list

Dynamo Hive Mind, I need your help…

I’m working on a script to insert data into our wall type names. Essentially I want to look at the materials in the wall and then generate a concatenated string of material abbreviations (e.g. PLB for plasterborad) which we have on the end of each material name. However I also want to enclose the ‘core’ materials in brackets so the final string would look something link BRK_CAV_(BLK)_PLB (running from exterior to interior)

Now I’ve had some success however there are anomalies I can’t deal with. The script below is a test file (note the A’s and B’s could be any material but for this example A’s are outside the core, B’s inside, I’ve just kept it consistent to get a Boolean mask to split the lists correctly.

**edit : for clarity - I need the solution to work for A and B being variables - e.g. A(C_D)B or B(C_E)F - in every instance the Boolean mask would inform what ‘materials’ are in the core.**

• Everything works where I have at least 1 material on each outside face of the core.

• I works where I only have materials outside the core on the exterior face

• It doesn’t work where I only have materials on outside the core on the interior face - the build-up effectively gets flipped.

• It doesn’t work at all where I have core materials only.

Anyone got any ideas how I can overcome these issues?

1.3.3-Wall_Core_Test-0.0.2.dyn (18.8 KB)

like this…

Home2.dyn (5.6 KB)

data = IN[0]
value = 'B'

outer_temp = []
for item in data:
    inner_temp = []

if item.count(value) > 1:
        first = item.index(value)
        last = len(item) - 1 - item[::-1].index(value)

for i in item:
            item[first] = '(B'
            item[last] = 'B)'
            inner_temp.append(i)

else:
        for i in item:
            if i == value:
                inner_temp.append('(B)')
            else:
                inner_temp.append(i)

outer_temp.append(inner_temp)

OUT = outer_temp
1 Like

Thanks for that - interesting bit of script - I really must make an effort to learn a bit of python!

But this will only work if the value is ‘B’ will it not? In realty that value could be anything - i need everything that is in the core in one set of brackets…

e.g. PLB_(TF_CAV_TF)_PLB

I will suggest you to do it differently.
If you collect your walls and then use the Clockwork node “FamilyType.CompoundStructureLayers”, then you can use the output from that and combine it with the python code shown below.

If you want different “values” than the materials give you, then tweak the graph so it fits with your settings.

Home1.dyn (10.7 KB)

material_list = IN[0]
core_list = IN[1]

outer_temp = []
for items, keys in zip(material_list, core_list):
    inner_temp = []

if keys.count(True) > 1:
        first = keys.index(True)
        last = len(keys) - 1 - keys[::-1].index(True)

for i in items:
            items[first] = '(' + i
            items[last] = i + ')'
            inner_temp.append(i)

else:
        for i, k in zip(items, keys):
            if k:
                inner_temp.append('(' + i + ')')
            else:
                inner_temp.append(i)

outer_temp.append(inner_temp)

OUT = outer_temp
2 Likes

That is perfect thanks! I need to make a few tweaks to the rest of my main script to get the right inputs in the right place but that’s nailed it I think. I just need to go and figure out how it works now!

Cheers

K.

1 Like

@erfajo

I never quite got finished with this but back looking at it again now. I’ve hit a couple oddities that don’t seem to work. I’ve tried to pick apart your code but I’ll be honest I don’t really understand some of what is going on, my knowledge of Python is still at a very basic level!!

Can you shed any light on why these combinations don’t work correctly?

Cheers

K.

Home1_Rev01.dyn (11.9 KB)

Hey Keith,

Try this?

Cheers,

Mark

2 Likes

Thanks Mark!

First pass of testing seems to be fine.

I can see what you’ve done., but can you explain why the original code doesn’t work?

Cool,

So the original code was iterating through a list, that step wasn’t necessary.

It meant we got the value of i, where we just needed to use the existing value at position[first] and at position[last]

If that makes sense?

Cheers,

Mark

I don’t understand why it worked in some instances but not in others. Your amendment makes a lot more sense to me certainly but I’m trying to picture what’s happening with the iteration. Don’t worry though there’s lots of other bits I don’t get about this piece of code I don’t get either!! :rofl:

TBH I’d use nodes, if possible, you can see the process much easier & debug… or daisy chain a few pythons together?

I’m no expert so when I Python I use really basic inputs and OUT everything as I go…

I guess some of it worked because with less than 2 core items it skips down and uses the 2nd part which is set correctly.

Hope that helps,

Mark

1 Like

I started with basic nodes but couldn’t do what I needed which was when the python script came in. I’ll get there with it I just need to get back to by python basics course and stop trying to run before I can walk!! :slight_smile:

1 Like