Some way to easily identify what kind of data I'm dealing with

Hey guys,
This doubt arises constantly in my work. Is there any way to easily know if the output of a node is being a Var, double, string …?
I would also like to copy the content with Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V from a node output. In other words, I thought of something like a watch, but that allows the content inside the Watch to be easily copied (to a notepad for example).

Thanks in Advance,

for the copying part, the used to be a watch+ node by @Dimitar_Venkov, from which you could copy and paste.
the Object.identity node can give you the type of the output i think.

3 Likes

Clockwork also has a Clipboard.SendTo node. Do not feed it a list though. Bad things can happen.

1 Like

Does this node still exist? I didn’t find it inside Springs :confused:

I tried this one but it still doesn’t give me what kind of info I’m dealing with: in other words, it’s not specifying the type of data
Thank you so much anyway

I believe the node you want is Object.Type.

https://dictionary.dynamobim.com/#/Core/Object/Action/Type
This lets you know the data type for whatever you send it.

Conversely Object.Identity does… nothing. It just passes out what you send in.

https://dictionary.dynamobim.com/#/Core/Object/Action/Identity

1 Like

@Marcel_Rijsmus I checked and Jacob is right, this node does nothing

1 Like

Yes, I think this is the node … But does it only work when the input is a var? or It will work with anything I connect?

It has worked with everything I have tried.

1 Like

Just one more question about it … What kid of “bad things” happen? I wanted to use it in a list and ended up using a List concat before, and it worked (but I used it in a separate file, after all I didn’t know which kind “bad thing” could happen) :stuck_out_tongue:

i’m sorry for the inconvenience, i messed up the names of those two nodes.
I’m getting old.

-marcel-

2 Likes

No problem Marcel, all suggestions are very welcome. Don’t worry, we all confuse node names sometimes

1 Like

Well, on a larger data set the crash kinda bad things, and on any size data set the ‘oops lost some data there’ kinda things. It’s been awhile, but I have a recollection of this node only maintaining the last item in the list for a given structure. Remember the clipboard can only hold one thing at a time - when you hit ctrl + v the one data point is pasted, not several sets of data points.

1 Like

Happens to us all eventually. :smiley:

1 Like

Got it. But in this case, data loss would always occur in Ctrl + v/clipboard and not in the Dynamo file itself, right?

Right, but with large sets of text it can be hard to track to ensure you aren’t losing anything on paste.

1 Like

@jacob.small
Do you think we can upgrade the old Watch+ node to newer versions?

1 Like

The old watch+ node by @Dimitar_Venkov
Watch .dyf (7.1 KB)

1 Like

Cool, Thank you

It’s still available, just re-categorized and renamed to bring it in line with the changes in 2.0:

2 Likes