Slanted Columns

Dear All, I am getting this issue where I have slanted columns extends along 40 levels up as one element, the inclination angle is very critical to the Architecture, now I want to split the slanted column per floor to assign its own size.
I did a lot of trials to split the columns or getting the intersection surface between the columns and the floor to draw it manually but couldn’t succeed. I am appreciating any help…

Did you try the splitting in Dynamo or just manually? Have you tried anything in dynamo that you could post?

1 Like

Hi Tom…Thanks for this, yes I did some trials but the problem that I got is that there is no Split node that you would rely on.
I tried another way, by getting the surface intersection between the slanted columns and slab then locate the centroid for each floor, then drawing them manually, but even this way dosb’t work because I could’t get the poly curve, I know this would be boring but that is the only way I know.Capture

As far as I know there is not way to “split” a column with the api. Instead you need to get the location line, split that at each floor, and make a new column between each split, and finally delete the old one (or relocate the old one to the first line in the series and make new ones for each consecutive line).

@jacob.small

Does the method in IFC export for splitting walls at level also apply to colomns?
If so there must be something there?
Havent tried tho…

Marcel

I haven’t played with the IFC export settings, so that may be worth looking into - concern is that it would mean you’re setting yourself up for an IFC export and then an IFC import which can be problematic for changes after the fact.

@jacob.small

I remembered that this option was available in the IFC settings and then i thought well there must be a command in the software that does this (to Walls). Don’t know if its accessible via the api and if it works for columns. I didn’t mean to export and import just the command that triggered my thoughts.

Marcel

The split method should work…

1 Like