Setting subcategory or name on an import instance in family

Im working with an import instance created in a family environment using orchid and dynamo sold nodes. I need to assign some kind of distinguishable parameter to it- subcategory, name, type name- but it wont accept any data.

Set Name tells me the parameter is read only, but I can change the type name within Revit. Set Subcategory tells me the element isnt unwrapped, although I did try and unwrap it. Any ideas? attaching family and the graph I have been playing with. I copied and modified some clockwork code to generate the error to discover the element isnt getting unwrapped to allow subcat to be set. I then played around with setname nodes, setparam value nodes, but no success.

Example.rfa (7.8 MB)
dev.dyn (47.1 KB)

Can you manually modify the subcategory of an import instance created this way? Check by selecting the element ID of the import instance in the Revit UI and see what you can do with that object.

yes you can manually set subcategory and also manually change type name. I am just trying to automate that for speed and accuracy, the workflow I am working on will be very repetitive and I want to automate as much as possible. I am thinking maybe I can use course med fine graphics as well if I can assign that but havent tried yet. Subcategory is the next best bet, but its not liking how the element is unwrapped and I am noob to API lol

Can you select the element and show the name property in the Revit UI? Feels like a type/instance issue.

I don’t have access to Revit at the moment so I can’t check myself.

1 Like

this is its properties. I can manually give it a new type name

Thas is the type, but you’re feeding the element. You’ll need to query the type either before sending the element to the Python node or in the Python node itself. Check the parameters for some clues as to how to go about this.

1 Like

So i need to feed it an element type instead of an element is what you are saying? got it :smiley: thanks!

But the subcategory is instance , ideally I need to set that. it is manually setable but my python node tells me the element hasnt been unwrapped.

The element does appear to be unwrapping from what I can see. You can test this by quickly creating a new line or two of Python at the end of your code (assuming you’re passing one element and not a list). Something like this:

Original = dir(IN[0])
Unwrapped = dir(UnwrapElement(IN[0])
OUT = Original, Unwrapped
1 Like