Set Section Box of 3D View

In a 3d view, it is referred to as a section box, which is a property of View3D in the Revit API :slight_smile:

https://apidocs.co/apps/revit/2020/e21471cd-63a4-c452-8c29-fad41362a59b.htm

1 Like

Thank you john one last thing can you assign a level to them so one is at GF to FF other is at GF to Third floor etc ? Thank you so much

I think this was covered here. Section Box in 3D view to match Levels

1 Like

John really thankful for your help, with this concept do I have to have a component there, or can I follow a points or a polygon ?

Rhythm4

If you build a solid or geometry in Dynamo, you can then created a bounding box given the geometry. BoundingBox.ByGeometry should get you set up

thank you for that John,

I have tried to use the graph shown above for section boxes and levels however I am struggle to achieve that with the above imagine

is there another way of achieving that using a combination of nodes including yours?

Hi again @s.rooble,

I am out of office for the next week and don’t have dynamo at my reach. I would say to check out these examples to see if that helps. https://www.revitforum.org/showthread.php/35978-Creating-a-3D-View-for-each-level-with-a-corresponding-Section-box

Hi @john_pierson ,

I just found this old post and was wondering if there is any solution for creating a section box not based on a BoundingBox? I noticed when I use BoundingBoxes I cannot rotate them to align them to my structure.

What I want (blue is the structure I want to align it to):

What I get:

As far as I know, this is not possible with the “SetSectionBox” option. This is because Bounding Boxes are always axis aligned.

Another way to do it is by using a Scope Box that is rotated how you want and assigning it to the view. The catch here is, you cannot make those in the API, so you cannot make them in Dynamo.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply.

Alright, then I just have to deal with it ;).

1 Like

Hey guys, I’ve been working with a Section Box sequence on dynamo, but I can’t get it to work properly. I’m trying to create an animation based on a bounding box built by corners.
Here’s the link:

I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Hello,
I loaded Rhythm 2022.1.5 but I can’t find the node: View3D.SetSectionBox

Could you help me please ?

That node has been removed. There is a fundamental bug in Dynamo that I cannot fix at this time.

It is documented here:

1 Like

Bonjour,
Avez-vous trouvé une solution aujourd’hui?
je suis en v2023 et je peux peut être vous aider

Good morning,
Did you find a solution today?
I am in v2023 and I may be able to help you

Hello @Cedric_Dysers and welcome to the forum :slight_smile: thx :wink: could you show to the forum your help ? so all can learn :…

I have not. Last time I checked the section box bug still existed.

With version 2018.12.4
I created a project to analyze where the lag was coming from and I managed to bypass it,
if that can help you put the node back into service

Send me what you have or post here and I can take a look. But no promises on the node coming back.

A mail address ?