Sequential numbering help for a newbie

I’m at my wits end trying to figure this seemingly simple task out by myself so I’m turning here for help (I am extremely inexperienced with Dynamo).

I’ve seen many sets numbering items sequentially for an entire category but what if you just want to number some of the elements in the category that share a parameter value? I’ve got a signage schedule where all our signs are specialty equipment. In order to organize this huge category, I’ve created a shared yes/no parameter titled “Appears in Signage Schedule” that works just fine in Revit. I’ve tried to use this same parameter to filter down to just the signage elements in Dynamo with no luck so far. Happy to use tutorials if they’re available, just haven’t found one that gets me where I need to be.

To make matters more complicated, they should be numbered beginning with one on the first floor and continuing through to the third floor. Parts of this model are linked and maybe that’s why I’ve been getting errors on the Element.Name node? GRRRR.

I can’t actually see what those are so it’s a bit hard to help.

Sorry about that. Those are just my attempt at trying to follow a DanamoBIM tutorial where she was teaching how to add a prefix to your numbering system. That’s not even something I wanted but didn’t want to get lost in her process.

First use an Element.GetParameterValueByName node to get the ‘include in schedule’ value. Then use that value as the mask input of a List.FilterByBoolMask node, with the list input coming from the full set of elements.

From there you can likely start following the tutorial. :slight_smile:

Note that the export canvas as image feature can be found under the edit menu, and will output the entire canvas at the current zoom state to N image format, which prevents the need for screenshots. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your patient and kind reply :slight_smile:

Can you confirm that the element.getparameterbyname node will work with type parameters? It seems like the video mentioned an additional step that would be needed for a type parameter but I could be totally off base.

If you need to get a type parameter you first gave to pull the element type, then get the parameter from that.