Searching for Nodes Indexing Guide

I am interested to know what the indexing of dynamo nodes is like and whether anyone knows if their is a search phrase help guide. Such as if I use " or > or , within my search field what I will find, or if I am looking for a specific “output” searching via “output” or “input” of nodes etc.

This would really help just find the nodes I am looking for.

If i understand what you are asking for,
There is no such thing, but there is this
http://dictionary.dynamobim.com/#/
and this

and lots of things when you start google

You have to put some time in it, sorry

http://dictionary.dynamobim.com

That is the most complete source I have seen for the info you requested, and admittedly it isn’t super searchable. It is however integrated into Dynamo already (right click a node and choose help).

I’m not sure of the total count, but I estimate it around 1750 nodes with some degree of documentation up there. I do believe however that it is limited to the OOTB nodes (likely as a result of the team who built it not being actively involved in building out, maintaining, managing or developing the various custom nodes).

Searching by input/output object type is a good idea. May require a more significant change in the library though. @Michael_Kirschner2 any ideas if a view extension could manage that?

My original post was more about whether I was missing a trick. If the dictionary is the only way I will make sure I have a short cut on speed dial.

Hey,

It feels like it could be easier, as you do more you learn the jargon and you start to get more comfortable with it.

Something that I do a lot is to happen across something which sounds promising, then hit the shortcut…

To see what else is in the ‘category’

Obviously similar things are done in different packages, but it’s usually a good guide and gets rid of erroneous things.

Hopefully that’s useful,

Mark

1 Like

It would be awesome if the search could have a switch where you can search for “with this as input or this as output”, so give me all nodes wich, for example suface, as output wich i can connect with the the node i already have that asks for a surface and vice versa, it would increase the amout of play and learn possibilities for everyone

1 Like

This kind of functionality seems sensible given the amount of nodes their are and the consistency in which the nodes connect and terminology used throughout. Which could just be a form to fill out for new nodes that will Map them to an index-able search function

TBH if I was addressing this…

I would concentrate on just getting nodes ranked by how closely they match the search criteria :slight_smile:

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue: You’re too productive! :smiley: I need an auto-updater!