Save as Workshared Cloud Model - Automation

Hi, I’m looking for solutions on how to automate the tedious task of downloading revit models from non-Autodesk platforms and saving them as worksharing cloud models on Autodesk Construction Cloud.

The manual process takes too long as the models are quite big and I’m currently opening one by one model and clicking on “Save as Cloud” on Revit.

I found this GitHub - Autodesk-Forge/forge-rcw.file.migration-revit.addon: Demonstrates the workflow of migrating a Revit RCW model from BIM 360 Team to BIM 360 Docs but I couldn’t understand how to implement it or if it actually would solve my problem. Has anyone tried this or has a solution for a similar workflow?

Thanks!

I can confirm that workflow does what you are after.

You will need to implement in Forge and as a custom add-in. Dynamo is not the right platform for this task.

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the confirmation!
Do you know where I can find a tutorial or a video on how to implement that workflow on Forge?

Thanks!

I don’t have anything offhand, but there are lots of ‘getting started with forge’ or ‘getting started with autodesk platform services’ workflows out there. That particular tool had some blog posts with documentation on it as well, so you may want to try searching for stuff like “Migrate Revit from Bim360 Teams to ACC Forge” and similar.

Sorry to be asking again, but all our projects are currently hosted under ACC, not BIM360. So I’m actually looking to save the models from my local folder into ACC as cloud models. Does this solution still work?

Yes - the original workflow was to go from BIM360 Teams (was the cloud worksharing solution in 2016/2017) to the ACC platform (the current cloud worksharing solution). The original source of the models can be just about anything, but the tool has to be revised to work with that source.

Having implemented this where I work (another developer - can’t explain the ins/outs), the models will not save any faster if they are big - just removes the need for a PC to be checked out for the operation.

Generally I’ve found forge only really has getting started material when I’ve gone searching, suggest working your way up to it if you’re just using Dynamo currently. You’ll need some web and C# based experience before really jumping into it.

2 Likes