Revit schedule of rooms to excel and back again

I have a building with rooms that I have scheduled that has custom parameters. I want to export these to excel and import them back in to Revit to populate the schedule. I want to have calculated cells each way to determine, for example, carpet cost based on the areas of these rooms. Is there a template that someone has used that will do this? Is using rooms really the way I should be doing this anyway? Because it isn’t a true family it doesn’t really behave well in assigning, for example, a parameter for the material cost because it grays out “Areas” and “Rooms” as a type when assigning the parameter. I have tried following along the Dynamo tutorials but only had marginal luck going from Revit to Excel, but going from Excel to Revit only gives errors. Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

Jack

Did you also see ArchSmarter tutorials on YouTube on this topic? It can help a lot to get started…

Yna_Db,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did go through this with moderate success in the Revit to Excel, but couldn’t get it to go the other way…it wouldn’t update my schedule with my custom parameters associated with rooms.

Jack

Post an image of the graph where you are stuck. Hard to fix what we can’t see. A lot of times the issue is with writing a string to a number field. Or a number to an integer field. Or attempting to overwrite a read only parameter. Or… well it’s a big list really.

On a side note, did you consider that this might be doable without jumping into excel? Revit can produce calculated values in the schedule without bouncing over to excel. Unless you need to show the ‘cost of the carpet on the room’ in a tag you are likely better off using a one software workflow.

Jacob,

Thanks for your comments on this. I did get this to work, if i striped out all of the formula parameters…not sure where this gets me on my end goal.

To your second point, yes, I did start this in Revit but for my cost for my “flooring” each line item in my schedule (room schedule) can be hand manipulated and I don’t want that. I want my flooring material to change and have that cost in the material identification drive the line item so that it acts like a ‘type’ of material; all those material will be updated by that price. When i tried this with the material schedule then i can get the cost to act like a material type, but then i can only connect these line items by level and i can’t associate that with the rooms.

I have looked for a solution for this for hours…which led me to trying to export to Excel and have a lookup table for each of my flooring materials. Problem is when I run the export out of Revit using Dynamo, it erases all of my links…In the long run it might be easier to just keep things in Revit and hand manipulate each line item…but I have multiple buildings that would have been nice to tie them all together.

again thanks for your comments,

Jack

Jack

Which parameter formulas are causing the issue? Sounds as if part of the problem may be that you’re doing math on both ends, assigned values in excel for instance parameters should allow the formulas which use t as inputs to rerun and return the new values.