Revit Excel Link


#1

Evening,

I am tying to create a’Excel Revit Link’… but only half of it is working it sets out the excel perfectly but doesnt write back to the revit perameters.I have attached a file if anyone could look at it any help would be great.

ive tried to use bumblebee for the excel to revit part as it lets me index the start point however it seems im doing somthing wrong…

Download able file > Excel-Revit Link

Cheers for any help,

 

Tom


#2

Can you post a pic of your definition?


#3

Please see the image below, if you right click on the link above abnd click ’ Save Target As…’ you will be able to download the file

ExcelError2

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Error Message you can see is …

"Warning: Element.SetParameterByName operation failed. The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties: ‘Revit.Elements.Element.SetParameterValue(Autodesk.Revit.DB.Parameter, Revit.Elements.Element)’ and ‘Revit.Elements.Element.SetParameterValue(Autodesk.Revit.DB.Parameter, string)’ Element.SetParameterByName operation failed "

Any help with this would be great.

Tom


#4

We can’t read your pictures (did you take pics using a cell phone?). Use the snapshot tool in the upper right corner of Dynamo to take pics of your definition that are large enough to read.


#5

Revit to Excel


#6

A couple of things I think this might go wrong:

  1. I’m don’t think you’re able to read and write to the same Excel file at the same moment. I think this causes a problem.
  2. You’re reading cells B4 to zz100 from excel, i suspect you’re then feeding a list in all of the element.setparamaterbyname nodes.
  3. I’ve had some trouble with the string nodes before, I’m always using code block with quotes and semicolon.
  4. You’re using bumblebee and ootb excel nodes, perhaps this is a problem.
  5. Your graph looks messy, this way it’s not easy to trace a problem, try using more lists, if you need one particular value for a list of other values you can count the other list, en cycle the count amount through the first.

I’ve recreated a part of your graph which is a little bit easier to read, maybe that will help you some. I couldn’t test it since I don’t know which elements you’re referring to and what you’re excel looks like.

excellink


#7

Thank you for your advice, i have tried to re create your image but get an error at the out put. do you know what it might mean?Export issue


#8

It looks to me like you are feeding a list of Model Elements into “Index 1” of the List .Create, then passing that into BBData and Passing that into Excel. The issue might be that.

Excel takes numbers, strings, dates, etc, but it does not take “Revit Model Elements” as a format (right click on a cell in Excel - click “Format Cell” - if your data is not one of those types of formats, it’s not going to work). If you want the Revit Elements in Excel you need to convert from the Element into the Element ID as a string so that can be put into Excel.


#9

I understand what you are saying, is there anything that you could recomend to over come this issues?

this may be a simple question but i am still trying to get my head around dynamo!

 

cheers for all your help!

 

Tom


#10

It looks like you are trying to pass the Guid and Element/Family Names into Excel - but what you are actually passing is the Guid and the Element (not the name of the element - which is a string and will pass through).

Try doing something like this to get the Family/Element names:

ELEMENT TO NAME


#11

thanks for your reply…

unfortunatly im still getting an error message

Capture


#12

Hi Tom,

I think error is because of familyInstance and familySymbol nodes lacing. Try setting lacing to shortest.


#13

Forgot to mention and also Element.name node.


#14

Thank you for your support i managed to get it to work by splitting my first version down into two definition effectivly 1 file exports the data and nother reads the data.

 

thank you for your support!!

 

Tom