[Request for Feedback] Searching in Dynamo

Monocle extension from @john_pierson :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Hello @daninet - Firstly thank you for your in-depth feedback! The examples with specifics of what you have tried helps us a lot :slight_smile: I have logged this as Critical task to look at and address. We’ll be looking at this for both 3.0 (Upcoming) and in a way we can backpatch to previous versions.

So long as issues like this persist, we will not consider Search done. While the basis is indeed much stronger (i.e. it actually allows us to scale and resolve problems) we have to improve the outcomes as you have outlined above :pray:

I’ll get the developer who takes this on to reply back to this post (Or I’ll cross-post it) when we have some traction.

Some context:
As an aside, in-short, the way nodes are displayed in the Library; such as Element.SetParameterByname is different to how they are handled in code. We have a Layout Spec in Dynamo that tells the Library which node should live where.

The reason we do this is that older graphs relying upon certain nodes, as well as Extensions and Python code requires those naming consistent or it will break things. Unfortunately in this case, what is appearing as correct in the Library UI isn’t interpreted the same way by Search - so we have more work to do to refine this.

We are looking to sync up different parts of the Node Class Hierarchy (What shows up in the Library) to better work with Search.

Hello all - We are implementing an improvement to Search for Dynamo 3.0 that now uses the period as a direct indicator of category. In practise, this means if you correctly type the node name in all but some rare edge cases, it will surface the node you are looking for :muscle:

Some notes:

1. We are looking at the exact case you have @daninet above for the use of spaces.
  2. Using the keyword point will return results based on a series of the hierarchy tree explained here Dynamo 2.19 Release - #4
  3. using the keyword point with the . fuses the top results with that category, or class. Results for nodes that don’t have a point.xyz in their name will still flow under the results that do if they are located under the point category.

Example below of working through finding the Point.ByCoordinates node.

5 Likes

Can’t wait for all new search.The search funtion would lost many new users.It’s really painful.Can’t find the right nodes using search both on top and after right click the mouse.

Click many times to find the node is really stupid and waste of time.Is dynamo used for saving time.This needs big improvement.

1 Like

@mavs013 Revit 2025, Civil 2025 etc. will have a dramatically improved Search :slight_smile: Please let us know how it goes when you get your hand’s on it.

2 Likes

Please let us know when we can get it and I will let you know what we think :wink:

1 Like

Need to ask @mzjensen if it’s already out in any build, but for sure when Civil 3D 2025 comes out it will be there!

1 Like

Yes, these improvements will be in Civil 3D 2025. If you want to take a look sooner than that, you can snag a beta version of Civil 3D from Autodesk Infrastructure Futures. Of course, there’s always Dynamo Sandbox as well if you just want to try out the search improvements but don’t necessarily care about Civil 3D nodes.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply @mzjensen
I have to staty with the Sandbox then. Am about to install the latest version

When I type uppercase,like WALL,the “W” disappears only show “ALL”,like this:

When I type lower case,like "wall“,it’s right.

Is t’his my own issue or anyone meets this as well?
It’s updated dynamo 3.0.3

2 Likes

That’s so weird… thanks for reporting @mavs013 ! Filing a bug now.

2 Likes

Just wanted to share that when searching using the term ‘curve’ it doesn’t return the specific node ‘CurveElement.Curve’. I’m using Revit 2024.1.1, Dynamo Core 2.18.1.

1 Like

Thanks for passing this on @Daan - we’ll look into this case too.

A bug found in v3.0 related to search, I am not sure if this is the right place or the ‘Dynamo 3.0.3 Release’ topic. Since it is search related, I’ll post it here.

The search responds on the input, but something weird happen, which can be reproduced:

1. Type ‘X’, the search responds and does show some results.
  2. Backspace to remove the ‘X’, search result is cleared.
  3. Type ‘Z’, the search reponds like if you entered ‘X’.

Screenshot when typed ‘X’:

And when typed ‘Z’ (the search result has not changed though there are no matched chars colored):

Another issue: If you search for ‘X’, you see in the image above that a second ‘x’ in the result disappears. ‘XAxis’ became ‘XAis’.

Sometimes the search result is completely empty.

Normally when you search, it will be on longer words so you won’t notice this, but searching for the .X or .Z functions, it becomes visible. Seems like the last entered char is kept in memory or something like that. In Civil 3D 2024 (v2.19) it is not the case.

1 Like

Hello @Anton_Huizinga - Thanks for sending this through! We have either all, or part of this bug captured already and actively working on it. I’ll ensure that these cases are indeed caught :slight_smile:

2 Likes