[Request for Feedback] Searching in Dynamo

Sugestions
Import.excel should sugest the Crumple and Bumblebee Package as an alternative

1 Like

@solamour ,

In the interface, i have this issue very frequent…

result

result

Ah, this isn’t related to Search? If so, can you please create a new thread about it :smiley: ?

Yeah, I think so. Similar to the node autocomplete functionality and eventual ML prioritization of nodes based on graph contents or common usage. Potentially using search keywords as tags to prioritize common selections. I’m thinking of something akin to Amazon’s “Consider similar items…”, “Frequently bought together…”, and the likes based on actual user selections from search.

1 Like

I like to create tags for all nodes, and be able to share my tags as a tag-collections to the community and internal at my company. So we could have a tag-collection with german names, one tag-collection for hotkeys, …
If there are enough high quality tag collections (just measure how often they are actively used in the community) you can add the tag-collections to the language specific search algorithm.

3 Likes

Hi,

I agree with the idea that the description must be taken into account in the search, perhaps an Elasticsearch type search engine or similar could be used (taking the description into account)
But I’m not sure is doable, because with each download of package it is necessary to redo an indexation

1 Like

I have been a Dynamo teacher for more than 7 years and these are the ideas that not only myself but also my students will love:

• Being able to have 10-20 nodes included in a “favourite” tab so that if you use them constantly they will ne easier to find.
  • Including all the related words in the search. It is awfully frustrating when one has to remember the exact name of the node to get to it.
    -Also it would be great when looking for a teem if we got our own most used nodes first, so that we could sort the research bar by our own using practices.
    Thank you so much for putting in the hard work to make dynamo awesome!:heart::heart::heart:
3 Likes

Thank you for working on this, it would be an incredible improvement! Here goes my suggestions and some examples from my experience:

1. Leave the search bar fixed to the top. If I start searching for a node in the nodes tree and decide I prefer to search for it through the search engine I have to scroll all the way up. (Searching through right click doesn´t necessarily speed up the search given results in each “searching way” (left side tree or write click option) are usually different)

2. Improve search results. Show identical matches first.
    Example: To get the Revit´s element Id, the node is literally called “Id”, but I cannot find it if I look for it this way. If I look for “Revit Id” another node that is called the same but belongs to a Package is offered, but not the one OOTB. I have to write it in the search bar as “Element Id” which is the name that appears on top of the node and not in the searching tree.

3. It would be great to make searching more intuitive and search results not depending on the word order or special characters. 2 examples below:

4 Likes

Hi Sol,

Long overdue and huge topic/mission :rocket:

trying not to repeat many good points :rofl: :

1. speed, and then speed, and also speed, and finally speed improvement :slight_smile:
  2. classification review to get nodes by
    1. category / class
    2. favorites / frequently used (either by the user or the community)
  3. ability to force the classification / search results with favorites
  4. force a syntax/naming convention for OOTB and custom nodes would help

I will have to review my speech about the search when I teach dynamo:

Dynamo is great but the search sucked so much I started learning python :rofl:

2 Likes

Just came across this whilst trying to search for Plane.ByBestFitThroughPoints:

Only searching BestFit yields results:

I would have expected that both the first two examples would find it.

3 Likes

One day I hope it turns into “Dynamo is great and I can find things so easily I started not using Python!” :wink:

1 Like

Sorry @solamour, it is too late already

1 Like

I agree with the search not being great, but my quote varies slightly.

5 Likes

and I preach Monocle simple search (and the rest of the tools) every single day I get to show dynamo :grin: @john_pierson

3 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Thoughts about template files/ parts

Really enjoy the thoughts and examples everyone has placed. I still haven’t seen one of my “favorites” come up.

The GetParameterValueByName, SetParameterValue and just Parameters always throw me off. Searching for these is a wild ride, and seem to always happen when doing a live demo, which really boosts your confidence. I know it reiterates many other comments, but to me, these are among the most important nodes, and having to be exact to have them appear is the worst.

Get and Set Parameter are two sides of the same coin, yet there names are off just enough to cause confusion. It would be nice if they all just came up with the word parameter, which yields results related to curves, not elements. It would also be nice to allow for pluralization of words as most of the time you are setting or getting multiple parameters.

Appreciate you taking the time to ask us!

2 Likes

Happen to be looking for some Curve.Trim nodes today… curve, curve trim, and curvetrim don’t return any of the Trim nodes. Only trim and curve.trim return anything useful.

1 Like

Have you search for a coordinate system node lately? There is a 99% chance you won’t find what you’re after by typing; I just tell people to go to expand the shelf in the library and put in nodes manually. Meanwhile the designscript search for the same is an order of magnitude faster…

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Node components

I always have the same issue with finding the select elements button. if you type select it doesn’t come up. element select also doesn’t produce the result. I’m often trying to remember it and have to go to old scripts.

I’ve had similar search issues with getparametervaluebyname, element type, all elements of (type or category) anything by clockwork, archi-lab, or Rhythm nodes. search string only works half the time, oscillating between two options.

Then there’s the weird searches that work. Object will bring up string from object, but string will not. boo gives me filterbybooleanmask, but filter doesn’t. I can search current to get to the active view in current document, but not active or view.

Hopefully some of those help the cause.

1 Like