[Request for Feedback] New Dynamo Excel nodes

That’s true. I prefer CSV nodes to Excel nodes because they fail/freeze most of the time unexpectedly. It’s not good to rely on current Excel nodes when you share your workflow with other users.

1 Like

Thanks @Aaron_Tang Really great work :slight_smile:

@theshysnail CSV is great, unfortunately for me I often need to extract data which might include stray commas (feedback, comments etc.) which breaks it… So I appreciate being able to use Excel.

3 Likes

@Mark.Ackerley

Why not use a different delimiter like * or _ at the beginning and end of every string so you can skip those stray comma’s and breaks?

2 Likes

Thanks Marcel, I’ll have a look at it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I have been unable to use the usual import and export nodes for a few days now. I work in Dynamo with Revit.

The message: “Warning: Data.ImportExcel operation failed.”.

My version of Office is 64bit and I have checked that everything is installed correctly.

Does this change have anything to do with it?

Cheers

Hi,
These two new nodes should not affect how the old excel nodes work. As they do not share implementation.

Are you experiencing a regression that the excel nodes used to work for you but now no longer works?

Hello,

Sorry for my absence. Yes, I am experiencing exactly that.

I found this topic: Excel Data.ImportExcel operation Failed

I reinstalled both Office and any Autodesk product with a ‘clearunistall’. But I’m still having the same problem. I’m thinking of formatting the computer to see if that solves it.

Thanks for your help

Hi,
any ideas why Data.OpenXMLImportExcel node imports cell values and in some cases imports function+value? In excel no differece between the cells. .xlsx, Excel 2007(don’t ask…-.-’) :frowning:

@martin.misol any thoughts on this one? :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if I should start a new thread for this or not, but I’m having trouble with the Data.OpenXMLImportExcel node. I’m getting a warning “Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: index”. See image below. The old node is working fine (in this case) and reading the same file that the new node is throwing an error on.

I’m trying to understand what this means.

I had a theory that this error message was telling me the file was too big, but then I created a larger file with dummy data and it worked fine. I tried “breaking” this new dummy Excel file by adding formulas, formatting, data validation, etc. But the OpenXML node reads all of this fine. So now I’m out of ideas. What is this error message trying to tell me?

Revit 2022.1

Dynamo

@martin.misol any ideas on this error :slight_smile: ?

@ehall Do you mind sharing me a subset of the graph which can reproduce this error? I can take a look

@solamour no ideas on this one?

@kovacsv hrm, first time I’ve seen this. 99% sure it’s to do with the OpenXML library we are using and probably a bug on their side. We can look into it :pray:

1 Like

Thanks, I can filter out the formulas for now, but with larger excel files it can be time consuming during runs.

@kovacsv we’ve discussed and it’s hard to tell without the Excel file you are working on, but we also don’t think OpenXML supports the use of formulas. Do other formula cells work correctly? The library itself is not using Excel at all, so won’t have full parity support for all of Excel’s functions.

If you are able to share your excel file here, then please do. If you wish it to be private, feel free to share on a DM :slight_smile:

Thanks @Aaron_Tang, I sent you a small graph and a portion of the Excel file that is giving me troubles. Please let me know if you make any discoveries!

1 Like

I found an issue here. Reading small numeric values, result in string output witch scientific notation:

The ImportExcel node reads the values correctly:

The string values can’t be used in other nodes since they are not recognized as numbers.

1 Like

filed as DYN-5297 - FYI @Aaron_Tang

1 Like

@Anton_Huizinga @Michael_Kirschner2 Should be fixed by DYN-5297 Import Excel Small Numbers by filipeotero · Pull Request #13680 · DynamoDS/Dynamo · GitHub which will be part of 2.18.0 release.

3 Likes