Repeatable randomizer

Is there a node that can generate a random pattern, but make that pattern repeatable?
I know about Math.RandomList which generates a list and Math.Random which takes a seed number.
I want a combination of those.
I’m working on a graph to randomize Curtain Wall Panels.
What I want to do is to select a CW & randomize the panels.
Then try a different random pattern or three.
The ultimate goal is to try a lotof randomized patterns and then say “I like the seventh one” and regenerate that same pattern.
Which I assume being able to pass a seed number would accomplish.
Would LunchBox.RandomNumbers do this? That’s the closest I’ve found

Randomize size or color?

Type.
What I’ve got so far is I define a CW Panel Type with the word “Random” in the title.
Then I randomize the Types of all the Panels in a selected CW.
I’d just like to be able to come back to a pattern I like and repeat it, either on another CW, or after testing other options
Here’s what I’ve got
RandomCW.dyn (22.2 KB)

You using system panels?

I’m still experimenting with that a bit, but I would expect we’d end up using one of the CW Types we’ve got defined in our Template (which use out custom Panels) as the “before”.
Then we’d create several new Types that we want to randomize with the graph.
Here’s the Types in use in my sample

The Glazed is what I start with, and the three “Randomized…” are what I end up with

My ultimate goal is to generate something like this (the tan part)
Sadly, we had to design this in that program called S*****U*

BTW, this building opens tomorrow!

1 Like

My suggestion would be to use Dynamo to display the options, then “commit” the change to Revit. Much faster.
Here is what I mean (I did edit to shorten processing when “Commiting” though)

2 Likes

And the graph image:

and graph
RandomCW-revised.dyn (25.6 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks!
I’ll update the thread once I get some feedback from our designers

Awesome! Was actually going to pitch a randomization class to AU. You think there is enough interest?

2 Likes

We seem to be doing a lot of that recently

Get a list of random numbers and paste it into a string. Parse that string into a Dynamo list. You can keep using that same list of numbers as long as you want.

https://www.random.org/integers/

1 Like

Hi there, I realize how old this topic is but I am trying to do exactly what you are doing with panel facades. I am also a DaveP! What I am looking for is a script that will create a curtain panel system for . three different colors at specific percentages, (50, 35, 15) and a random assortment of 2’, 3’, 4’, 5’, 6’, 8’ lengths. Having options for varying board heights at a random intervals is another possible option. I can think of a few more.
I found that lunchbox no longer supports dynamo. Is there another option that works?

Hi @DParkRMAK,

You could take a look at Colin McCrones Ampersand package. It has som solid paneling related nodes.

He did some demo vids at some point as well, but I can’t remember if it was YouTube or LinkedIn Learning i saw them.

I know this thread is a bit dated, but I came across it while searching for something similar and thought I’d share some insights. The concept you’re asking about—a random pattern generator that’s also repeatable—is quite akin to a d20 roller used in tabletop games like D&D. With such a roller, you can get a random result, but if you use a specific algorithm or seed, you can recreate that randomness.
Coming back to Revit, you’re correct that LunchBox.RandomNumbers could be the closest match for your requirements. It allows you to generate a sequence of random numbers based on a seed.

I don’t recommend utilizing Lunchbox in any way. In fact purge every bit of it which if you can as the authors abandoned the tool ages ago.

This node is likely a better solution as it’s out of the box.

Going to close this thread out now due to the age - feel free to start a new thread on randomization though!

1 Like