Rename family names Dynamo 2.x

Hi all, :raised_hands:
some users asked during the past weeks for an upgrade of the rename family name graph.
I just made few changes and updated it to the Dynamo 2.x vers.

Please make sure you’ve installed the clockwork and data-shapes packages.
have fun :upside_down_face:

download link >> RENAME FAMILY NAMES IN DOCUMENT.dyn

Share this post to friends and colleagues that may need it, hope it could be useful to you too, :peace_symbol:

15 Likes

Hi, first thanks for creating this script. Will definitely save me a lot of time renaming families if I get it to work.

Sorry if it’s a stupid question but it’s my first time using dynamo, but when I run the script it opens fine, asks me what text I want to search for and replace but then after that nothing happens. Dynamo player says “Run completed with errors.” the errors I believe are the ones below. Installed packages are below.
I’m running Revit 2019.2 with Dynamo 2.0.4.12685

Any help would be appreciated.

Use instead of that node “Passthrogh” from Clockwork.

2 Likes

hello @martinlopez, you could also use the OOTB node DataStream.Await

2 Likes

That made it work perfectly, thank you so much!

1 Like

Our office has about 10K revit families and we needed to upgrade them from various versions to r19. I used Dynamo to upgrade, no problem there. We would like to rename each family to include “_r19” to the end of each file name. These families exist within sub folders based on Master Format. I exported a list of the families to excel and added “_r19” to all in the list in Excel. I am having trouble figuring out how to use Dynamo to rename all the files within their respective folders… I’m relatively new to using Dynamo so your help is greatly appreciated!!!

bulk file rename.dyn (33.5 KB)

The fastest way to do this would be to first use a rename utility like Advanced Renamer - Free and fast batch rename utility for files and folders

Then just upgrade that folder. (or just rename if they have been upgraded.)

Thank you Aaron, but the IT department would have my head if I downloaded some freeware! I’m lucky they let us use Dynamo with packages - it is a challenge to balance the need for information security with innovation. I’ll keep the renamer app in mind, but will carry on with writing a graph to rename Revit families. When I finish the script and it works I’ll post it here.

Hi @npalmer-licht you could use instead the “portable” version for example Ant Renamer or modify the python into your custom node.
Cheers

Heck. You can just use Excel and a bat file to rename. I do it all the time - fast and dirty, but gets the job done.
dir /b > list.txt
Then open in in Excel.
And roughly…
=CONCAT(“ren “””,B1, “”" “”",LEFT(B1,FIND(".", B1)-1), " R20", RIGHT(B1,4),"""")

Dump the column to a text file. Change the extension to bat and run.
Done.

Add a /s to your dir and you can do all the subdirectories as well.