Refinery Toolkits

Hello,

I’ve been posting about Isovist node here a lot and haven’t gotten any answer yet. Not sure if its my way of putting question together or people don’t know too much about Refinery Toolkits package made by dynamo team.

How do you bring in your 3d Revit model into Dynamo as polygon? This has been my biggest challenge.

I’m having a trouble turing solid into polygon. Is there a node that changes solid into polygon?
Has anyone used Visibility.IsovistFromPoint node before? any suggestion would help for this 1 week dynamo novice.

thanks

Don’t take this the wrong way, but my suggestion for a one week novice would be to slow down and learn the basics. You’re jumping into a pretty complex problem right off the bat without knowing how to accomplish the basics. If you haven’t seen this post yet, it should be a good starting point for a potential isovist solution. However, you will be much better off going through the Dynamo Primer and learning the basic nodes and functionality of Dynamo before jumping into something like this.

hello thank you for your reply.

I thought it would be easy to bring in 2d plan of your 3d revit model or as intuitiive / flexible as grasshopper. I guess its much more complicated than that…

I did look into that thread and studied each nodes and even replicated few - didn’t work for some reason.
I’m juggling learning basics and trying to solve this isovist script at the same time due to time constraint. Regardless thank you for your suggestion and will look into that Dynamo Primer.

If you built your own isovist node or graph you could allow 3D geometries. It would probably slow down computation but could be very helpful for ease of use.

I’m not sure how the toolkit node works so I can’t give you specifics on how to use it, but a good start would be to intersect your 3D geometry with a flat surface. This should give you the surface geometries you’re working with which could easily be converted to perimeter curves.

1 Like

this is very helpful and haven’t thought about it - thank you for this info.

Which application is more complex: Revit (five+ model authoring environments, three worksharing types and multiple objects each with their own rules and limitations) or Rhino (one modeling environment, no concurrent authoring, and geometry objects)?

I don’t ask this to bash Rhino - it’s a great application. I am a fan of sorts and am enjoying some personal education by watching others and trying to replicate! However there are enough differences between Revit and Rhino that any expectation for ‘one to be just like the other’ will usually result in a headache. Since you’re using Dynamo on Revit, and Grasshopper on Rhino you’ll likely find that the same holds true in many respects.

1 Like