Reference point driven arc model line using Dynamo

This forum has rules that make sense. If you want to take part, they apply to you like to anybody else. Please learn Dynamo and send your first attempts.

I don’t understand what your problem is? I good enough with dynamo to know that there is no way to do what I am trying with dynamo only. Python script is beyond dynamo. Do you want me to share something that I know is irrelevant?
There were similar requests in this forum. https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/host-reference-points-on-xy-plane-of-reference-points/6253

Please show what you tried, so that everyone can follow what’s going on. If you need to ask, you probably worked on it and can sum it up while explaining why it does not work this way.

@Yna_Db is right. You need to make an effort to learn the program here and post where you are stuck. I specifically state this as you clearly haven’t checked out the dynamo primer yet. Use that as your starting point to learn this - most any ‘getting started’ but of data will tell you the same.

Be sure to run through all of the content there, cover to cover. Don’t skip anything. Do any parts you get confused by with twice. I reccomend taking specific care to the parts about list levels, list management, and lacing, as those will be the parts you struggle with for this first graph.

Oddly enough your exact question is very well answered in the primer - the adaptive family is adapting lines instead of curves but the concepts are the same.

If that doesn’t work for you, try a throw speghetti at the wall and search for some terms that accomplish what you want - i.e. adaptive component - in the node search bar. I promise no Python is needed here. Once you have one of those two things come back if/where you get stuck.

1 Like

I don’t need dynamo to generate the shape. This is not about generating geometry in dymamo. This about using a revit command through dynamo in order to automate the process of manually feeding the Start-End-Radius points. My arc should not be static but adaptive. It should be driven by the position of the reference points without the mediation of dynamo. That’s why I used the CurveByPoints.ByReferencePoints example, because it generates a spline throught points revit element.

This was for for your previous post :
"I’m also confused by that. Once dynamo generates the arc and you create the reference line/plane/whatever by it you will have no reason to keep dynamo running. You have the plane already at that point. And if dynamo is generating the shape how are you not run Dynamo?

The forum needs you to step back and explain where you are, where you want to be, and how you have tried to get there so far. Otherwise we can only give you directions from where we are to where we think you want to be."

@Tryphon_Foteinopoulo I’m going to attempt to summarize your intent.

1. There are 3 reference points in a Conceptual Mass family file
  2. A model curve is created in Revit through Dynamo by referencing these three points
  3. Close Dynamo
  4. One or more of the reference points in Revit is moved and the generated curve is expected to change (as it would if you’d created the curve in Revit by snapping to the 3 reference points)
  5. You’re looking for a way for the Dynamo generated model curve to snap to the reference points.

Though I have no solution, kindly clarify if I’ve properly understood your intent.

PS: If what I’ve outlined above is correct, a sample Revit file with those three points and a Dynamo file generating the model curve would have been good attachments to the original post.

@Vikram_Subbaiah Yes! Thank you very much! That’s exactly what I am trying to do.
I apologize for wasting everybody’s time by not providing the necessary attachments.

1 Like

And to further clarify this curve should be an arc.

@Tryphon_Foteinopoulo Would help if you could elaborate on the purpose of this exercise.
Somebody just might be able to suggest an alternate approach that could be surprisingly simple.

For example, if you’re just looking to manually manipulate the positions of the points until you obtain a satisfactory arc, you could do the manual point manipulation in Dynamo itself (not very smooth, but possible), before it gets to Revit.

thanks for sharing this dyf. I’m having trouble getting it to generate an arc. Could you please take a look at my dynamo graph if ever you have a moment? The specific nodes are in the pink group.
panel infill_2018.07.25.dyn (174.5 KB)
Panel-Infill.rfa (304 KB)

Thanks!