Read family parameter value

Hi! I’m new to Dynamo, so probably there is a very simple way to do it, and I’m not seeing it
I’m trying to color different instances of a family, nested in an other family, based on a family parameter that can be True/false.
I’m stuck in reading the value of the parameter, I can find the name of the parameter with “Get Family Parameter” but than I can find a way to read the value of it.

This is my try… after that I’ve in mind to pass the value in a “If” block and set a “Color.ByARGB” and pass it to “GeometryColor.ByGeometryColor”

Try / have a look at these nodes :point_down:.

I also suggest you to use Element.Parameters node to check which parameters are available for that element. It is sometimes informative.

Element.Parameters return a list of 25 elements but not the value that I’m looking for…

It’ll show you all the parameters collectively

In theory Element.GetParameterValueByName shouldn’t work because it take the list of parameters from the Element.parameters above and return the selected value → so my expectation is a none/null value.

Trying to execute, it returns a space… I’m very confused
Regarding the other method with Rhytm for some reason, when I try to download and install the package, the program closes on an error screen, so tomorrow I try on an other pc with a different installation.

Element “Type” and the “Element” Paramters like below?

I must be missing something though, cause the paramters of the “Type” parameters will always be the same right? is this script being run in the familyeditor enviroment?

Maybe you can do it manually, show us so we understand and then maybe help further?

hi @bri47744 You trying to get the parameter value from the nested family right…???

if yes, Go with this node as you selected instances. Give those to this node and it’ll give u the nested family instances and you’ll be able to retrieve your parameter from that & from there on you can take it up for color

Or if you are trying to do something else then as @pyXam mentioned

And is your nested Family a Shared nested Family?
Also. Is the Parameter a OOTB Parameter or custom Parameter?

Maybe you have to build your Graph a little different if want to use the nodes i suggested.

See this for difference between behaviour in Shared and Non Shared Nested Families.

Also read the warnings the nodes give you carefully

I think in your case this is the issue. Feeding a String but the node wants a Type.

1 Like