Python scripting in Dynamo (Django or Flask)

As i am new to python scripting, when i surfed i came to know these two framework of DJANGO & FLASK. can anyone suggest which framework will best suite to dynamo environment.?

Hi @kriba741, please read below:

1. It could be better if you say hi to the community, before asking for help. Nobody is actually working for you here :slightly_smiling_face:, so maybe you want to read this post by @Dimitar_Venkov for your next post;

2. I am not (yet) a software engineer or a developer but I think the frameworks you just mentioned are for web-development, and probably you canā€™t use them with Dynamo BIM but Iā€™ll wait for a better answer by one of the community experts. @jacob.small @solamour @john_pierson

from wikipedia

Django is a high-level Python Web framework that encourages rapid development and clean, pragmatic design. Built by experienced developers, it takes care of much of the hassle of Web development, so you can focus on writing your app without needing to reinvent the wheel. Itā€™s free and open source.

Flask is a micro web framework written in Python. It is classified as a microframework because it does not require particular tools or libraries. It has no database abstraction layer, form validation, or any other components where pre-existing third-party libraries provide common functions.

Hi @Ernesto_Pellegrino

1. I agree with your point and moving forward will continue it.
  2. I was thinking to learn python from a scratch while surfing i came to know there were two frameworks (actually i dont know whether python scripting will come under this two frameworks or it is a separate package for dynamo scripting).

Ok I understand, you want to learn python regardless of DynamoBIM. I can advice you some online free courses below, but if you can, I strongly recommend you this book :sunglasses:

online python free courses

hope it helps! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

1 Like

No need for either of those frameworks. You can use IronPython itself. Should install when you install Dynamo. Search for it and youā€™ll get something that pops up. You can learn the basics using that. You should know that Dynamo is limited to this particular Python framework, and that it is limited to Python 2 (so if you want to learn Python for Dynamo stick to the 2.x versions).

Personally I prefer learning stuff like this via an app as it allows me to tackle it during my commute home (I take the subway). I used ā€˜Learn Pythonā€™ by SoloLearn to do so. You should also be aware that there are some things which Python in Dynamo will handle differently then Iron Python (no print, worry about IN and OUT, how libraries are imported, etc.).

1 Like

100% agree Solo learn is the place i started.!
Very cool and they have questions at each stage.
Good place to start.

@jacob.small thank u for your reply. Will start the suggested method from now onwards - hopefully in near future will seek your help to clarify some doubts.

@Ernesto_Pellegrino acutally i am trying to learn python to script only in dynamo but instead to jumping into the scripting first, thought of knowing the basic first. Thats the actual ā€œMottoā€ for this post. Hopefully from your reply with the tagged fellow mates in the same field suggested some websites and books. Thank u for that. Cheers!!

@jacob.small there is no python 2 courses in solo learn, may be they have migrated to the latest version website course section contains only python 3. whether its okay to go with python 3 or i have to check for other websites to learn only python 2.?

Website link: https://www.sololearn.com/Courses/
Surfed links : https://www.sololearn.com/Discuss/277314/python-2-or-python-3

As u r already into this scripting, hopefully u will provide the better solution for this.

Yeah, apparently it is 3 only now (or maybe always was? Been a few years now). The differences arenā€™t too bad, and there are many web resources to learn them. However that was my biggest struggle.