Python Profile Builder (first step)

Hi all,

I would like to create a Python node that creates a profile(family) for a precast concrete stair.

Afbeelding

First of all i don’t expect complete solutions (this a learning project for me) but a little help would be much appreciated.

This is the workflow i have in mind.

1. To start a “profile family” would be the active document.
    The (above) node has three input values (for now).
  2. These input values have to be translated to (Dynamo)points.
  3. These points are then connected with (Dynamo)lines.
  4. The (Dynamo) lines have to be translated to (Revit) profile/detail lines.
  5. If the family already contains profile/detail lines it should get those lines, and replace them with the above 4 steps.

I have based the above steps on Nathan Miller’s Py-forms.
http://wiki.theprovingground.org/revit-api-py-forms#toc5

To start do you guys (and girls) have any thoughts and/or additions on this workflow ?

Kind regards,
Mark

This should be a really good learning exercise.

Here are a few things I think you should consider:

• Make Step 5 the second step. It would be easier to just open the family and say “delete all lines” before running the Python node. If you have lines that need to be replaced, they get replaced. If you don’t, you don’t. Then you’re free to make your new geometry.
  • It’s a good idea to use Python, however I would suggest working this out with nodes (and maybe a little Python) first. This will make it much easier to manage all your data and make sure everything is working properly until you get it to your liking. Then you can attempt to convert it to Python or maybe even DesignScript if you like.

Besides that you should have fun getting this all worked out. Good luck!

1 Like