Pre-populate the 'Manage Node and Package Paths' dialog

I’d like to configure the defaults for my Revit users so that when they open Dynamo player they are automatically in the ‘Network Pathed Folder’ without them having to navigate to that folder. To that end:

1. Where can I pre-configure the ‘current’ folder for Dynamo Player? (Reg Key? Txt or XML file somewhere?)
  2. Where can I access the path list shown in the ‘Manage Node and Package Paths’ dialog?

Cheers!
Dustin

“C:\Users%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2.0\DynamoSettings.xml”

1 Like

I’m using Dynamo for Civil 3D. I edited the DynamoSettings.xml located here and it had no effect.

“%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Dynamo\Dynamo Core\2.4\DynamoSettings.xml”

It appears that Dynamo for C3D is a bit different.

%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\C3D 2020\Dynamo\2.4\DynamoSettings.xml

1 Like

When we build a new computer for a user, that is done at a central location. All software is pre-installed under an administrator’s profile before the user logs on and creates a Window profile. With that said, having the DynamoSettings.xml located inside the user profile is an issue. I don’t have a way to make sure the user has an updated DynamoSettings.xml with the alternative package path(s) when they first run Dynamo.

How is the DynamoSettings.xml file created in the Windows user profile at first run? Is it similar to AutoCAD where files are copied in from the UserDataCache location in Program Files? Does Dynamo have a “UserDataCache” location for populating the Windows user profile? If I can modify the source of the DynamoSettings.xml, the I can make sure all users have the correct package paths out of the gate.

I was not able to find something similar to “UserDataCache” for this (on the Revit Dynamo side) so I changed directions and decided to push it out through a Group Policy that looks for a marker file called ‘Paths_v1.txt’ or something like
that, then it’s easy enough to update in the future (but would wipe out any user customizations)

1 Like

Just sharing what we ended up doing for this. We don’t want to wipe out any settings if a user has already established them. However, for new installations we want to have an initial DynamoSettings.xml in place. To accomplish this, we added a line in our Civil 3D startup lisp file that checks if DynamoSettings.xml exists (meaning, the user is already setup with Dynamo). If it does not exist, it is a new installation and/or the user has not used Dynamo yet. In that case, we copy the DynamoSettings.xml into place.