Plate by coordinates failing

Hi All, I’m trying to create a plate by coordinates, but it keeps failing because it’s ‘non-planar’, however when I create a polygon from the same points, and test using the Curve.IsPlanar node, it returns true. I can also extract a plane from the polygon using the PolyCurve.BasePlane node.

The coordinates were taken from an Inventor plane, to several decimal places, and it passes the simple planar tests in Inventor too.

Furthermore - I’ve manually created a plate using the same coordinates.

I’ve attached my dynamo file below.

Plate By Coordinates.dyn (29.8 KB)

UPDATE: I tested the coordinates in Octave and they failed a coplanar test, so I’ve modified my Dynamo script to create a plane with 3 of the 4 points, then project the 4th point onto that plane, however the “plate from polygon” operation still fails. Here’s the updated Dynamo Script and coordinates (these need to be in a csv file).

X	        Y	        Z
P1	598258.1	445016.4	11595.0
P2	599868.5	440904.4	11595.0
P3	599501.0	441386.0	26570.0
P4	598067.7	445045.8	26570.0

Plate By Coordinates 3.dyn (50.4 KB)

Any suggestions?

I finally found a solut… Work around. After trying lots of different things - I found that the ‘Plate. byPolygon’ is extremely sensitive. So much so, that if I created a polygon on the XY plane, then transformed it to the coordinates that I’m interested in, it would fail.

The work around involves creating the polygon in place, transforming it to the WCS, flattening it (in case it’s not already flat), rounding off any extraneous decimal places, then transforming it back. As per above, the back transformation may still fail, so some luck and extra fiddling is required.

Plate By Coordinates.dyn (101.3 KB)

Hopefully this helps someone in future.

1 Like