Parameter Data from Revit 2015 to Revit 2014

Thanks for reviewing this post. We’re working on a project where we’re adding facility management data to model content. For example - the entire plumbing system is modeled (using plumbing fixtures, generic models, mechanical equipment) and we have added project parameters (building code, in service date, install date, manufacturer, etc.) One of our guys upgraded the project from 2014 to 2015 and then spent 1 week inputting data. The client will not take the file in 2015. Is there any way to extract all the data from the 2015 data into Excel and then bring it back into the same model in 2014? Nothing has changed between the files except the parameter values so all the item counts, etc. would be the same.

Absolutely! This is something dynamo is great with!

As long as the parameters are the only thing that changed we will just have to create a write data to excel graph and read data from excel graph. (My preferred way)

after that the element ids should be the same which means the parameters should assign the same.

I have a few questions though.

Are we dealing with instance parameters or type parameters or a combination of both?

For the generic models. Are they named specific to what you need to read/write? This is so we can filter out all non plumbing generic models.

I think I can work up an example pretty quick but I’m not in front of a CPU right this moment. Let me see if I can get something this afternoon.

(Unless Vikram drops a crazy designs script answer by then :smile: )

All yours John :slight_smile:

Hi

DBLink might do it in just one go.

Test and test again on a copy of your file.

Good luck,

Marcel

John - thanks for the reply! In answer to your questions: We are dealing with instance parameters in all cases except for one. We have URL links that only show up when you click “Edit Type”. The generic models are specifically named.

Below are dynamo files I have made on my own just by learning in the past couple days. The “Out” file is grabbing the specific parameters I need, but only for generic models. It also doesn’t get the URL data.

The “In” file has some problems. It seems dynamo doesn’t like “null” data (blank spaces in the excel file) but not all parameters are completely filled out for each model element. I made a work-around that seems to be doing okay, but the file is getting clunky. Also, the dates are picking up time data from Excel - for example it’s coming in as 08/27/15 00:00:00 and causing errors. The two files don’t line up as far as the parameters in and out. I made a second pass on the 0"Out", but haven’t updated the “In”. That’s what I’m working on now.

Thanks again for your help.

2014 to 2015 In 2014 to 2015 Out

Marcel,

Thanks for the tip. I’ll look into this.

Cool, do you think you can give me the way the generic models are named that separates them from others and the parameters needed.

For starters an easier way to get all of the parameters you want is below.

2015-09-21_07h38_15

Wow - thanks for that easier way. That cleared a lot up. I purged the file so only elements that are actually modeled will be reported out. I need the info for all the generic models, mech equipment, pipe accessories and plumbing fixtures. I don’t know if there’s a way to export them all at the same time. I attached a snapshot of the filter with all the elements selected and my updated dynamo file with all the parameters listed.

2014 to 2015 Out Version 2

Do all of the parameters in your file apply to all of the elements you are showing here? And which one is type?

Yes - all the parameters apply to all the elements. I only put in the parameters that you can change, so type isn’t in there. Do we need that?

Does the type parameter apply to all of them as well? Becuase if it does we can set that at the same time.