Opposite of "List.Create" node

Have you ever needed a node like this???

Very often i need to decompose a list to access separately to the item and everytime I have to create a code block like that: an annoying waste of time!

I think it could be very useful to have a node that is a kind of “opposite of List.Create node”…

What do you think about???

List.Chop

1 Like

yes…i know…

but I’d like to have separate output like in the code block.

what’s it for? It seems to be a bit paradoxical but a list structure is already pretty consecutive and discrete.

Simply I need to do different operations on every subList…

Imagine for instance you have a series of data of different type (list):

sub0=list[0] --> string
sub1=list[1] --> string
sub2=list[2] --> double
sub3=list[3] --> date

Two task:

• transform all elements of sub2 to string;
  • set a date format to all elements of sub3;

Easy to do with python, but sometime is easyer to use available nodes…

Something like this:

It looks like a switch statement thing…let’s call some help… @Vikram_Subbaiah @kennyb6 @jacob.small @Jonathan.Olesen

somehow I guess it’s achievable by Dynamo API (if there is…), like programmatically add a number of nodes and connect them to upstream automatically.

Like adding 25 (List.Count()) ItemAtIndex nodes then connect them to the List.

Let me know if I understood you correctly. You want a node that has an automatically expanding OUT based on the count of the list? That would be an interesting thing I suppose, but with limited uses and I am not sure if that is even possible, as there is no way to activate/deactivate nodes automatically/based on another node’s statement.

Lol I crashed my Dynamo trying to type OUT[0…List.Count(inpList)]

http://dictionary.dynamobim.com/#/Core/List/Action/Deconstruct

this would work if there were only two items in the list, or you could use a lot of deconstruct nodes together, maybe this could be explored

1 Like

Well, not exactly…

As with “List.Create” I can decide how many items to add, in the hypothetical “List.Items” node I can decide how many item to get.

A sort of dynamic “List.GetItem”…

Okay basically you want the same thing as the first codeblock in your picture but expands using a +/- controller to save time. I agree it would be interesting and helpful in some cases, I just don’t know how possible that is and if it is worth the hoops you might have to jump through to get it functional. I guess one of the developers would be a better person to ask.

I like the idea of the automatically expanding node for this, and I think it would be possible to write a custom node which does this. That said…

This use makes this hypothetical node inconsistent in terms of behavior… what happens to the rest of your list? What if I only want items 6, 5, 24…49, 137…

Further, passing all those outputs outside of a collector is just going to ruin performance as each output has an impact on RAM. Every time I have seen someone ‘split out’ a list like this, there is a step further up stream where they recombine them in some way. Leave them together and your performance boosts.

Instead, I recommend you look at if statements:

Object type is a date?
Format the date:
Object type is not a string?
Convert to string:
Return the original object;

2 Likes

…if I need specific items I use the “List.GetItems” node.

As usual there are many way to obtain the same thing, but let’s with another simple example:

In this case there is no need to modify the items or to ricombine, but simply to use it as input in different nodes.

N° 5 “List.GetItems” required VS N°1 code block…or “List.Items” node… :wink:

What do you think about?

I’m looking for the same - has anyone figured out a dynamic number of outputs?