OpenSource not OpenSource?!

Dear Community,

I am trying to collect as many inputs and feedback as possible about this topic that we will face at #AU2019 this year. As group SFCDI.org , we started as Dynamo User Group because all of this started as an OpenSource project.
Nowadays with all what happen with Blender, FreeCAD, Microsoft investing 7.5B on Github, 60 patents released OpenSource to help Linux, it seems the right time to raise awarness about OpenSource in our AECO industry. The OpenSource Initiative OSI started in 1998, and it now turns 21. It seems to be mature enough in the Software Industry, what about in the AEC?

I think this is an important topic to discuss as a community and see in what direction we should move in the future and next years. IMHO this stand on the foundation of the WHY we all believe in this.

I was trying to collect as many questions and feedback for our panelists ,this could be a great opportunity to have precious insights.

https://www.reddit.com/r/opensource/
Important previous threads:

@Konrad_K_Sobon @Michael_Kirschner2 @john_pierson

Hi @Alberto_Tono

Sorry if some think this is necroposting but I wanted to update this post with new information rather than start a new one which loses the history

Back in 2020 I was part of the beginning of a project which in many ways focuses on some of the issues you raise here. That project is OSArch - Open Source in AEC

I won’t go into details about the project, I think the name says a lot. Feel free to check it out. A lot has happened since you made your post.

Great to bring this to the forefront… again! The Apache and MIT licenses should prevent available Open Source from being firewalled, however if “they” decide to shut down the servers and rebrand and repost then the content can be firewalled. The rules of “archiving” is many copies in many places on many different types of media. Someone has to pay for storage- and if its centralized, someone has to maintain it.

Mirrors on ‘free’ servers would be best.